Friday, November 30, 2007

A touch of the old-fashioned


This fall I have been trying to use fabrics and notions that I have already collected in my sewing stash -- with moderate succss. This project was salvaged from a dress that I had made but had worn infrequently:






Using the skirt pieces, I cut out the top part of a princess-seamed pattern for the top section (adding extra to the bodice front so that I could gather it). The bottom half of the shirt was simple two rectangles with a little shaping in the sides. I didn't gather them at the bodice, since I did not want a "maternity" shirt! I had enough fabric to cut bias strips to bind the neckline.




I cannot believe how perfectly this project worked out -- I had saved about five inches of the blue velvet ribbon "just in case," and as it turns out I needed it so that I could extend the blue velvet all around the empire waistline. I inserted an invisible zipper in the side side so that I wouldn't have to button it up the back.





I had designed the sleeves and was overjoyed to find that I could keep them in tact. I love the floaty bias ruffle for an extra feminine touch.


The dress had a ruffle, which I was able to pair with a khaki-colored gored skirt made from a sheet (which had been a trial "mock-up" for the navy blue skirt that I'm wearing in the pictures). I simply applied the ruffle a little above the hem of the khaki skirt and voila! A petticoat! You can't see unless I lift the skirt, but it adds an extra "swish" to my step:




It's getting a bit cold to wear this outfit now, but I look forward to wearing it again next fall. Having a failed project is disappointing, but it is certainly thrilling to create something else out of it!

5 comments:

  1. Very, very pretty! I love those sleeves. The velvet ribbon goes so well with the fabric you've used! And best of all is your creativity at re-using the fabric! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I love that top! (I came across from the S and S forum) What pattern did you use for the top part?

    Those sleves are so pretty, can't believe you designed them yourself!And the fabric really suits it too. You have done a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kindness!

    Erin, I used McCall's 3571 for the top part of the blouse (it was a pattern I had in my stash from making my Senior Recital dress, and I knew that it fit well). I raised the neckline in both front and back.

    In Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind sharing with me what pattern you used for your skirt? I think its so cute- I hope I didn't just miss the pattern number on the blog somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren Christine,

    You didn't miss the pattern number! I actually used an online gored skirt calculator, available here (sorry, I can't link to it):

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/crispin.roche/panels.htm

    I've used this calculator several times and I really like it -- but it takes a little bit of tweaking. If you use it, make a mock-up first so you can be sure the fit is right. The nice thing about gores is that you can take in or let out easily because of all the seams. I love being able to put in my exact measurements and length. Just don't forget seam allowance when you cut! Yes, I speak from experience... ;-)

    In Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!