This fall I have been trying to use fabrics and notions that I have already collected in my sewing stash -- with moderate succss. This project was salvaged from a dress that I had made but had worn infrequently:
Using the skirt pieces, I cut out the top part of a princess-seamed pattern for the top section (adding extra to the bodice front so that I could gather it). The bottom half of the shirt was simple two rectangles with a little shaping in the sides. I didn't gather them at the bodice, since I did not want a "maternity" shirt! I had enough fabric to cut bias strips to bind the neckline.
I cannot believe how perfectly this project worked out -- I had saved about five inches of the blue velvet ribbon "just in case," and as it turns out I needed it so that I could extend the blue velvet all around the empire waistline. I inserted an invisible zipper in the side side so that I wouldn't have to button it up the back.
I had designed the sleeves and was overjoyed to find that I could keep them in tact. I love the floaty bias ruffle for an extra feminine touch.
The dress had a ruffle, which I was able to pair with a khaki-colored gored skirt made from a sheet (which had been a trial "mock-up" for the navy blue skirt that I'm wearing in the pictures). I simply applied the ruffle a little above the hem of the khaki skirt and voila! A petticoat! You can't see unless I lift the skirt, but it adds an extra "swish" to my step:
It's getting a bit cold to wear this outfit now, but I look forward to wearing it again next fall. Having a failed project is disappointing, but it is certainly thrilling to create something else out of it!