My sister and I joined forces this Christmas in making gifts for our mom. She tackled a set of placemats and napkins, while I worked on an apron, an oven mitt, and two pot holders. An apron seemed an obvious choice, since my mom has a penchant for getting dinner on her clothes while cooking! And our current oven mitt and pot holders were in such a sad state of disrepair that they certainly needed replacing.
The fabric was a gingham cotton that mom had purchased several years ago and stashed for a rainy day. Here is my contribution:
For the apron, I used Simplicity 4282. I must say, I am quite fed up with this pattern. Part of this was my fault, since I used a fairly lightweight fabric. Even so, I think I will risk designing an apron myself next time I want one!
Not having a pattern for an oven mitt, I simply devised my own by tracing our oven mitt and revising it. The pot holders were squares, which were simple. I used double layers of cotton batting for extra heat resistance.
And even with these projects, we still have about five yards of fabric left. Hmm...