Wednesday, February 20, 2008
I decided to make a green corduroy vest. Just because I wanted one. Just because I had the fabric in my stash. Just because I think it's my duty to clear out that stash instead of leaving it lying about in the sewing room. It's the principle of the thing, you know.
I used Simplicity 4079 for my vest, without any major problems or alterations. Even after cutting it down a size, I had to take up an inch in the shoulders and over an inch at the bottom armhole.
I love the little open tabs in the back:
I already had the perfect buttons in my stash, making this project absolutely free:
And, of course, a new vest calls for a new blouse. I've been sorely in need of some practical white blouses for everyday use, and this one did the trick. I used my absolute favorite blouse pattern, Simplicity 4499 (out of print, sadly). I think I need to transfer it to interfacing, as the tissue paper is beginning to fall apart! I drafted a Peter Pan collar, which was a nice departure from the stand-up collar I typically use with this pattern.
More stash buttons for the blouse, this time taken from a garment that was destined for donation before I vandalized it:
I'm starting to take this stash-busting idea seriously! In fact, I don't think I paid a single penny for either of the projects -- except for patterns and interfacing. The only problem is that I seem to be adding to my stash faster than I am using it up!