Thursday, March 20, 2008

Shades of Blue



While I made this blouse several months ago, it has defied several attempts at photography. Is it possible that the shirt itself is what causes the camera to blur? I think the real culprit so far has been the lighting, but that sounds rather dull, don't you think? And technically the title of this post is deceptive; it's really only one shade of blue, but that doesn't make a very good title (in my opinion).



I used "stash" fabric from JoAnn's that I purchased during a Red Tag Fabric 50% off sale. I think it was about $1.50 per yard. The fabric has a bit of stretch to it, just enough to make it comfortable to wear without causing any difficulty in sewing it.







For this shirt I used my classic base of Simplicity 4499, and used McCall's 4922 for the sleeve and collar. However, I ended up altering the sleeve because I didn't want to do a normal cuff (laziness had almost nothing to do with it). Instead, I took in the fullness with four tucks on each sleeve -- two longer tucks in the middle with a shorter tuck on each side.





And while you can't see very well in the picture, there are three rows of tucks on each side of the buttons. I am finding that I like 3/4 length sleeves more and more. They transition well in the varying weather that we experience every Spring and Fall -- sometimes it feels like winter one day and summer the next! Perfect for teaching violin lessons today, and a useful staple in my closet.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to look up that pattern. I love the pin tucks down the front! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've stopped linking to the pattern because it's now out-of-print. But it's a recent pattern, so I'm sure there are copies available. You won't find any pintucks on the pattern, though, because I added them myself. So if you have a button-up shirt pattern that you already like, you could just add extra fabric to the front for pintucks.

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really? Well thanks for letting me know!

    Is it really that simple to just add fabric for pintucks? I'm going to have to try it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your button downs are always *so* pretty! Lovely, lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sew such pretty things! I like the skirt too. Do you know of any good skirt patterns(other than the tiered pattern you posted)?

    Do you sew your whole wardrobe, or do you actually buy ready made clothing on occasion? I'm also curious as to whether or not you wear pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri, I can't wait to see future pin-tucked projects! :) It really is simple...just time consuming.

    Lauren Christine, thank you so much!

    Maria Pauline, the skirt I'm wearing is actually a half-circle wrap skirt. The instructions can be found here (Just copy and paste into your browser):

    http://www.xanga.com/connimom/549154186/how-to-make-a-wrap-skirt---part-1-cutting.html

    And part 2:

    http://www.xanga.com/connimom/550031672/making-a-wrap-skirt---part-2.html

    These are so easy, and go together in a snap. I currently have 3, with more to come! The wrap is deep enough to prevent the skirt from flying open -- and the full hem helps.

    I am sewing more and more of my wardrobe. I do occasionally buy clothing -- usually thrifted -- but I just can't seem to find things I like at prices I want to pay! And I enjoy sewing so much that I'm rather glad it's that way. Personally, I only wear pants for outdoor work or when absolutely necessary. I started wearing skirts frequently when I was about 13 or 14, and have worn them increasingly since then.

    I hope this was helpful! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!

    May I ask... how difficult was it to do the tucks along the front? I have a blouse pattern from the 40's that I'd love to make, but it has all the rows of tucks and I'm not sure how ambitious I need to be feeling.

    ---Clare
    www.romanceandtheroses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare,

    The tucks aren't too difficult -- but I would recommend practicing on a scrap first. The hardest thing is getting them all even. I measure carefully with a seam gauge as I press them, and then sew them VERY slowly. I usually like to "zip" through seams, but I have to remind myself that these will be very visible. I've done three or four blouses now with tucks, and they don't frighten me as much anymore!

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!