Friday, May 09, 2008

Week in Feminine Dress: Friday (and a new blouse!)


Today was a delightful combination of home activities: picking blackberries in the morning, working a bit in the sewing room, puttering around the house, and assembling a salad and grilling hamburgers for dinner (with chopped onions and crushed garlic mixed in with the ground beef. Mmm!).

After returning from picking berries, I changed into a favorite white twill skirt, with buttons down the side front -- I can't tell you how many people have come up to me and told me that my skirt is on sideways!

I also wore a new pink blouse that I finished last week, using (Guess!) Simplicity 4499. The only change I made this time (other than the collar, which I always change), was that I folded the front plackets the opposite way. This allowed me to insert a band of gathered fabric so that I would have a ruffle on each side of the buttons. I'm gald I did, because otherwise this blouse would be rather plain. The thrifted fabric came in a bag with several other large pieces, all for about $2. The mother-of-pearl buttons are salvaged, as well.



Technically, tomorrow is the last day of WIFD. But I think I'm going to extend until Sunday, anyway! This is just too much fun!

6 comments:

  1. The new blouse is beautiful! What a sweet, sweet shade of pink!

    ---Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a gorgeous outfit! And the blouse! Pink and ruffles and mother of pearl buttons...so totally feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee, hee, Shannon, my sister Katelyn has a skirt that buttons up the side just like that. I sometimes find myself doing a double-take, wondering if her skirt has twisted around.

    Thanks so much for the comment on my blog. I'd better give credit where credit is due: my sister Erica took the photo of the propane burning. Heh, sometimes I wonder if I should rename my blog to "Janna and Erica's Blog", she contributes so often in the photography department. One of these days, I'm going to have to get out that camera and make sure I can still take photos. My pride is suffering. ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. After almost a week of looking at your beautiful buttondowns, I decided I needed one of my own... but alas, my Joann's was out of the pattern I picked out!! Maybe next time... but I had to tell you how inspired I was :) I love the pink and white!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute outfit! I love your blouse! I've been wanting to make myself some blouses, I may have to get that pattern and try it out myself!

    I wish we had black berries this time of year here! Black berry pie sounds so good right now! Mmmm!

    ~Nona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare, I'm so glad the fabric came in a "grab bag," because I probably wouldn't have had the courage to buy that shade of pink off a bolt!

    Sarah, thank you!

    Janna, if it's any comfort, I really like the pictures in some previous posts that I know you have taken :) You really have a lovely blog!

    Lauren, I'm so sorry your blouse pattern was out of stock! There really are few things more annoying than that -- you just expect it to be there! I hope you enjoy making button-up blouses as much as I have.

    Nona, thank you! I hope you find a blouse pattern you like. Simplicity 4499 is out of print, but I think you can still find them inexpensively second-hand.

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!