Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tagged -- and Belated "Thank Yous"


I've been tagged by Clare over at The Time When Lilies Blow for a book meme! I had not come across this one before, and it particularly suits my bibliophilic fancy -- so I am delighted to be tagged (thank you Clare!)

Rules
Link to the person that tagged you, post the rules somewhere in your meme, answer the questions, tag six people in your post, let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog, let the tagger know your entry is posted.


Who is your all-time favorite author and why?
This is a particularly tough question for me -- normally when people ask this, I give a list of about ten! But I'll try to obey the rules. *thinks very hard* I think I'll pick J.R.R. Tolkien as my favorite author. While I don't read his books very often, I never tire of them. His intellect and writing skills make a powerful combination, one that never disappoints! I know of no other writer in the English language who can turn a phrase as beautifully as Tolkien can -- and, at the same time, maintain a delightful, earthy flavor that makes us feel at home with his characters (especially hobbits!).


Who was your first favorite author and why? Do you still consider him/her to be among your favorites?
My first favorite author was probably Louisa May Alcott. I first liked her because the librarians at our local library were sure I wouldn't get through Little Women in three weeks (I was seven at the time). I think I formed a bond with Alcott when I did complete the book in time. But more than that, I loved her stories of "old-fashioned girls," her simple tales of hearth and home, and the wholesome moral quality of her books. I still rank her among my favorites, even though I don't agree with absolutely everything she wrote or stood for (most notably, Transcendentalism and early feminism -- neither of which come across strongly in her books). Even now, I enjoy pulling out her books and reading them with new eyes.


Who is the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?
Another tough question! I rarely add new favorite authors (at least, I haven't added any very recently). Two that I've become "acquainted with" over the past few years are P.G. Wodehouse and Wilkie Collins. Who can resist P.G. Wodehouse for pure hilarity? Some of my favorites are If I Were You, Heavy Weather, The Man Upstairs and Other Stories, and any of the Jeeves books. And no one can build suspense like Wilkie Collins. So far I've read The Moonstone, The Woman in White, and Poor Miss Finch. All very interesting and very good.


If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth?
Now this is my kind of question! I get to choose several. First and foremost, Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. They are really tied with Tolkien for first place, but I could only pick one. *pouting* Also on my list are C.S. Lewis, Jules Verne, G.K. Chesterton, Elizabeth Gaskell, Anne Bronte, Charlotte Bronte (for Shirley, not Jane Eyre), Agatha Christie, P.G. Wodehouse, Wilkie Collins, Gene Stratton Porter, and others that I can't think of off the top of my head!

Okay, I tag:
~ Janna at The Joy of Home
~ Laura at Quietude
~ Sommer at A View From the Mountain
~ Maria Pauline at Beautiful Grace
~ Cheri at A Joyful Handmaiden
~ Tiffany at A High Calling (Clare already tagged her, but she's my sister, so I can tag her again ;)


Also, I have several belated "Thank Yous" to say.

First of all, Maria Pauline at Beautiful Grace very kindly gave me a Blogging With Purpose Award -- back in March! I have never officially thanked her for this, and would like to do so now! I was greatly touched by her gift, especially as I have enjoyed reading her thought-provoking posts over the past few months.

Secondly, Cheri at A Joyful Handmaiden gave me her Feminine Seamstress Award back in April. I was so delighted and touched that she did this, as I have always admired her skill and her feminine projects. So, thank you, Cheri!

Better late than never, right?

3 comments:

  1. Why thank you for being so sweet and complimenting me! You're welcome. :)

    And like you, I think I like this meme. Hopefully I can post in a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun! Thanks so much for "tagging" me, Shannon. I had a blast coming up with answers to these intriguing, if difficult, questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shannon! This was right up my ally. I finally posted my answers today..so pop on by when you get a chance.

    Lots of love,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!