Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sewing Tip -- Fabric Sampler


For those of you who, like me, have a "healthy" collection of fabric (*ahem*), storage always poses a problem. Even with a fairly large sewing room, I never seem to have enough room for my fabric. So the attic houses some of my stash, mostly thrifted finds that I plan to use in the future and leftover formal fabrics that are waiting for the perfect project.

But chances are I'd forget exactly what I have in storage if it weren't for this:



Using a little 3x5" index card binder, I can keep track of all of fabric and know at a glance if I have enough.

On each card I staple a sample of the fabric, along with the width, yardage, and the box it's in. On the side I write the main color of the fabric, and then organize it in my binder according to hue. When I use the fabric or take it out of storage, I can just throw away the card.



Now when I need fabric, I can check my stash before buying something new. Inexpensive, handy, and a good reminder that I really don't need any more fabric...

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea ! I have the exact same problem but twice as bad. My mom and my two sisters sew ! So we each have our own stash and it gets quite hard to find things at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats such a great idea! :) I should try that...

    blessings,
    Lauren Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. *GASP* This is genius! I need to really weed out my stash, but organization has really been stumping me. This is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking I'm going to change from the big binder to the 3X5 cards. This is so much more handy.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I am doing. All my stash is in the garage in totes...so tomorrow that is what I am tackling.

    This is such a good idea. I am glad I stopped by :)

    blessings,

    Lady M

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!