Thursday, August 20, 2009

Building a Pattern Wardrobe, Part 1

I thought I'd do a series on how to choose patterns that you can use to build an entire wardrobe! While my huge collection of patterns doesn't seem to support this idea, you really can have a diverse wardrobe from just a few basic patterns.

In my opinion, the key is to find simple patterns that can be easily altered for a different look. So here's my personal list:

Skirts:
1. Simple A-line skirt (preferably not bias!)
2. Gored skirt (six to eight gores)
3. Flared skirt (may be included in the A-line pattern)
4. Tiered skirt (or similar "easy-to-wear" style)

Blouses:
1. Button-up darted blouse with collar
2. Princess-seamed blouse
3. Empire waist blouse

Jackets:
1. Whatever style jacket fits you best!
2. A shrug pattern

Dresses:
1. Simple dress, style depends on your figure
2. Empire waist dress (this style is almost universally flattering)


Obviously, the patterns chosen will depend on an individual's body type and clothing needs. Once you have some basic patterns, the possibilities are virtually unlimited! Over the next few posts, I plan to elaborate on this concept and show examples of how basic patterns can be changed for a completely different look.

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more :-) I have yet to make anything for myself in recent years. Would love to have a basic idea of patterns I should have on hand!

    Lots of love,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be willing to share examples from your wardrobe that illustrate each of these items?

    ~ Melinda ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully insightful post!!
    Thank you, Shannon!!

    Love in Christ~ Miss Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good! I was hoping this would be helpful!

    Melinda, that's a great idea! I'll be sure to do that in my coming posts!

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your tips and techniques on expanding a wardrobe.

    And thank you for getting back to me on the crepe rose question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love how you modifying existing patterns to get the most beautiful results. I'm looking forward to your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list - it really is true you can mix and match with all of them! A great wardrobe list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for putting this together. I am looking forward to your future posts in this series. We were going to do a lot of sewing this summer, but ended up only doing 2 skirts. After the girls are done with their "project" I am hoping that we will get back to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!