Saturday, September 05, 2009

Believe It or Not


Several years ago my mother and I had our first "white squirrel sighting." Completely unaware that there was such a critter as a white squirrel, we were both rather stunned! Since then, I've seen three more in our area. The last sighting (this is starting to sound like a post about UFOs or Bigfoot, what with "sightings" and such! *wink*) was only a few weeks ago -- and fortunately we had my sister's Nikon D40 along to capture some "proof!"



Apparently this is a color variation in the local squirrel population; they're not albino (notice the dark eyes). A Google search turned up some interesting information -- there are five towns that claim the white squirrel as their "mascot" (ours isn't one of them, actually!), and each of the towns is upset about the other towns. Because, you know, white squirrels are worth fighting over... *wink*

I wonder if white squirrels are like the white stag in Narnia and will give you wishes if you catch them! But somehow, I don't think I have much of a chance of catching one of these swift little rodents -- not to mention what I'd do with it if I did catch it!



Well, I've now seen black squirrels in Indiana, brown "feathery" looking squirrels on the West Coast, regular ol' grey squirrels just about everywhere, and now white squirrels in my hometown. What next?

8 comments:

  1. Oh how neat! I have never seen a white squirrel before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I've never heard of that either, before now. It's beautiful! God certainly has a neat way of making a variety in even a same species. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Florida also, and one day I thought I saw an albino squirrel (no one believed me though) but I probably just saw a white one!

    Really neat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next you should come back to England and then you can see our native red squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My great grandmother lives over in east Florida and these white squirrels are all over her neighborhood! Here, though, we have an ample (and I mean AMPLE) amount of grey and brown ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! We only have the normal brown squirrels in Spain! That white one is amazing!!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in the squirrel mixing pot of America. I have one massive tree in my yard and it has a constant flow of red squirrel, grey squirrel and black squirrel, there is even a couple black squirrels with red tails running around but if anyone can catch a half dozen white ones and send them to me here in Newton Falls Ohio I'm sure they will flourish

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!