Saturday, July 10, 2010

Makes Cents


Last week I received a box from Amazon.com, containing two eagerly awaited (and very different) items: The DVD of Our Mutual Friend and a 32-ounce jug of pure maple syrup.



The grand total for both items? 11 cents. I know, I spend big.

Actually, my 11-cent total was due to Swagbucks, a search-and-earn website that I discovered a few months ago. It's easy. All I have to do is search using their search engine, and usually after a few searches a little notification appears on the search page that I've won X-number of Swagbucks. I've won as few as 5 and as many as 33 in one search. Plus, they frequently have free codes for a few 'bucks on the downloadable toolbar (which I love) or on their blog.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now that I "know" the system I usually win twice a day and spend very little time earning my swagbucks.

So what's the payoff? You can redeem Swagbucks for items in their online store, or you can redeem them for gift cards to various places (Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, etc.) But if you prefer real money, you can cash in 700 Swagbucks for $5 via Paypal. However, I think the best deal is the $5 Amazon gift card for 450 Swagbucks. There's rarely a time when I'm not interested in something on Amazon, and since you can use as many gift cards on a purchase as you like, you can just let them accumulate! Since February, I've cashed in $45 of gifts cards for Amazon (and I'm already well on my way to more). In tangible terms, so far that equals free shipping on my dress form, and a DVD with maple syrup for 11 cents.

If you want to try Swagbucks, I've included a button below -- but be warned, it's shameless advertising on my part, because it's a referral link (Swagbucks has this nifty referral method, whereby any Swagbucks your referrals win also show up on your account).

Search & Win

So far, I have not found a single problem with Swagbucks -- they don't spam your e-mail, and you really don't even have to give them your full name. Initials will do! I'm very cautious when signing up for things online, but I've been very pleased so far with Swagbucks -- plus, they keep their blog very clean, and apparently try to do the same with their Facebook and Twitter accounts (neither of which I have, so I can't guarantee that).

Well, that's all for now -- I need to go win my daily Swagbucks! *wink*

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review Shannon! I've had a couple friends doing this, but didn't know if it was "worth it" to get involved. ;) It seems like a good idea to me so I will have to try it (through your "shameless" button). :) Lol!

    Have fun watching your new movie and enjoy that delicious looking maple syrup! :D

    Blessings!
    ~Rachel~

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, i already have an account! i just 'ordered' my first Amazon.com $5 gift card. glad to know you've had only success with them. i haven't had any trouble so far either. :)

    -Jess.

    ps: do you recommend any other 18-19th century themed movies besides the most popular (jane austen adaps, north & south, wives & daughters)? i took 'adam bede' out from the library and had to fast forward a lot of it...awful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I'm so glad my review was helpful to you! I hope you have great success with Swagbucks (and thank you for using my "shameless button" ;-)!

    Jess, congratulations on your Amazon card! Doesn't it feel wonderful to actually get something for free? I almost feel guilty about how easy it is! :-) Hmm, other good historical dramas... I don't know which films you're familiar with, so I'll just list a few of my favorites: The Winslow Boy (set in the early 1900's; an interesting "character" drama that some might find rather slow); the 1990's "Little Women"; I've heard good things about "Lark Rise to Candleford" but haven't actually seen it; the "Road to Avonlea" series; and that's all I can think of for now! I wish they would come out with more *clean* period dramas!

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I love the movie,"Our Mutual Friend"!!:) The Swagbucks sounds very fun and almost productive!;) Some other period dramas are: The Inheritance, The Scarlet Pimpernel(I haven't seen it, but it's gotten some good reviews from friends.), and I agree with Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea.:)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, it certainly does feel great! I've also been using MyPoints for the last 4 years and can 'earn' about $50 a year in gift cards from them with very minimal effort. The site is very clean and I've never had any concerns. I do suggest though, if you sign up, that you create a separate 'junk' email since the emails do pile up if you're not consistent with it!

    Thanks for the suggestions about movies. I've seen that version of "Little Women" once before (it's probably time to see it again), but haven't seen the others. I definitely agree about clean period dramas!

    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon... it's Shannon! (Mallory) I have heard about Swagbucks enough now, I finally signed up with your shameless button! :) Now you wouldn't want to help us out with some of your tips for quick and easy points, would you?!?! :)

    P.S. I love the blue room you painted! Beautiful! And I can't wait to try the broccoli cheese soup. Micah would agree with Pablo on the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I signed up for an account (through your "shameless button":)) last week. I've been very happy with it. It's so effortless, and yet, you win free stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!