Thursday, September 09, 2010

At Last!


A few weeks ago, I finally ran out of my last bottle of Origins tres pur deodorant. Not such a big deal -- except that it's the only natural deodorant I've ever been satisfied with, and they discontinued it not long ago! Of course, I had to run out in the middle of a hot, humid, Southern summer. Lovely.

I've been wringing my hands (and keeping my arms pinned to my sides) ever since, and desperately wishing that my back up deodorant actually worked -- the lavender scent and squeaky clean ingredients list is nice, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I'm one of those people who would get the clinical strength stuff if I didn't mind rubbing aluminum and who-knows-what-else under my arms.

I actually gave in once during the past few weeks, and used a trial-size Degree that I had in my cabinet -- the first time I've used "real" deodorant in about two or three years. After a few minutes, the smell was driving my chemical sensitivity nuts, and when it took about five minutes to wash the stuff off I decided to toss the nasty thing for good!

I've tried one of the rock crystals before, but had only limited success. So I tried Walmart's only other natural deodorant option, Tom's of Maine unscented liquid crystal roll-on. Let's just say the product itself smells bad, and it doesn't improve during use. Yikes! Maybe their scented versions are better, but there weren't any available to me.

So after a few miserable weeks of pitying anyone who came within five feet of me, I found relief. And oddly enough, I found it "accidentally" at our local Walgreens.



Crystal Essence Roll-on Mineral Deodorant is my new hero -- not only does it score a whopping zero on the Cosmetics Database hazard rankings, but it actually works! I have the Pomegranate, and the scent -- which is natural, meaning no headaches from chemical perfumes -- is good enough to eat! It was $4 at my local drugstore, which is much cheaper than the $11 I was paying for Origins (although Origins lasted me about four to five months, and I doubt this will last quite as long).

It's not an anti-perspirant, but I still have yet to come across a natural deodorant that actually is (we're supposed to perspire, anyway). Besides, that's not a big deal to me, since the anti-perspirants I used to have never really worked!

I wish I could say this is a miracle product that works for everybody, but it probably doesn't -- I've seen fantastic reviews on products that were total flops in my opinion, so I guess it's a personal thing. But if you're looking for a natural solution, it might be worth giving this one a try!

7 comments:

  1. I have just recently started going natural. I never linked the connection between Deodorant(Aluminum based) to lymph node cancer until recently. The only natural one that I have found at the store is $14!!!!! It is good to know that they can be found cheaper:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found something. I love my Dessert Essence organic tea tree and lavender oil . . . it works better than ANYTHING I have ever tried--and has even held up to international travel with 24 plus hours between showers. I can get it from Smartbomb.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm going to have to look for that! The pomegranate is absolutely enticing!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found something that works for you! I use Tom's of Maine except it isn't the one you mentioned...it's a scented stick...wonderful smell, they have lavender and apricot..both natural smells, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what a find! I'm also one of those women who sweats ... um, I mean, "glows" ;) quite a bit. My dream is to have botox injections in my underarms. It doesn't act as an antipersperant, but instead causes the "smell" glands to turn off. That's not exactly a *natural* treatment, but I'd still love it!! :)
    Plus, 1 round lasts 9 months. Can you tell this is a serious idee fixe for me? ;)

    Blessings,
    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shannon!
    in the blog "passionate homemaking" (you have a link to it in your own blog) there is a recipe to make your own deodorant. I haven´t tried so far, but it looks interesting. If you want to try it, go to the blog, then click on "recipie index" and look for it at the end of the page. Hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be looking for that next time I go to Walgreens. I use Toms now and it's ok, but I would like something different.

    We try to be as natural as possible. We don't use anything with aluminum in it, for variouse reasons. One being that it is linked to alzheimer's, which my grandpa died from.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!