Monday, January 31, 2011

Lovin' the Lensbaby


As we were having wedding pictures taken a little over a year ago, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me -- it looked like our photographer was bending one of her camera lenses. I assumed I was mistaken, but couldn't quite get the idea out of my mind. So I Googled "flexible camera lens," and discovered Lensbaby SLR camera lenses!

The lens my photographer was using was the Muse, which features an accordion-style design that you squeeze and bend to focus. After viewing the images in the photo gallery (a few of which are quite immodest, so use caution if you visit it), I was sold! And when I realized a few weeks ago that I had almost enough "allowance" money saved up, I finally decided to go for it.



And here it is! I chose the Muse with the double glass optic, which gives you a sharply focused "sweet spot." I love macro shooting, which allows you to have sharp focus on one visual field, while blurring everything else. To me, the Lensbaby is even better, since the blurring is more gradual and artistic, and the depth doesn't matter.




I knew this lens would involve a big learning curve -- if I had been smart, I would have practiced manual focusing with my regular lenses before purchasing a lens that can *only* focus manually. But I was too impatient! *wink* I'll just have to learn as I go. So here are my first experiments with my new "baby."









You can change the size of the "sweet spot" by changing the aperture of the lens -- an interesting process that involves little discs that slip into the lens, and are removed with a magnetic stick!











So far, this is the only shot I've taken where I've successfully gotten the sweet spot somewhere other than the center of the photograph. I'm getting the hang of squeezing the lens to focus (though more than half of my shots still come out entirely blurred!), but it's a bit more difficult to squeeze, tilt, and focus the lens -- and press the shutter, too!





I'm thoroughly enjoying this new addition to my camera ensemble! I'd love to take advantage of some of their interchangeable optics, and I definitely have my eye on the Creative Apertures kit. I'm looking forward to exploring the possibilities with this lens -- and hey, it's just plain fun to have a squishy lens!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen anything like that before! How neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool lens! I don't have a DSLR yet, although I hope to someday. When I do, I'll have to check this out! Thanks for sharing your neat pictures with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat. I too have not seen a lense like this. Your practice photo's turned out really nice. Practice makes perfect:) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's intense! I've never heard of those type of lenses before. Thanks for sharing your experimental shots -- looks like you're well on your way to mastering this new lens! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!