Monday, May 21, 2012

Coming Soon...



I feel I've been neglecting my poor blog of late, but that's life. 
There are a few things in the offing, though! First off, I drafted my first pattern. I've altered many patterns over the years, but have never designed a pattern from start to finish.




What I've discovered is that I loathe pattern drafting. That probably has something to do with the fact that I loathe mock-ups (I want my project done, and I want it done now!), and pattern drafting involves multiple mock-ups. Most of which have to be altered in some way, or even changed completely.
But my griping aside, the pattern is done and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. 

It's my plan to transfer the pattern to PDF and offer it as a free pattern on my blog. It's quite simple (just six pieces), and will hopefully be a help to others who are in search of modest maternity patterns. 

The pattern is based on this Gap maternity shirt that I found at Goodwill. It's roomy, comfy, and has empire belt loops (because without a belt, it looks like a big tent). I actually traced the yoke pieces to get the basic shape for my pattern, and then modified to my specifications.





Here's my version of the tunic:




The fabrics are not my favorite (especially for a shirt), but since this was a mock-up I didn't want to risk having to trash one of my better fabricsc. Also, the fabric has been neither washed nor ironed, so it's still a bit stiff and wrinkly. It should drape a bit better after a journey through the washer and dryer. But hopefully you get the idea. 
I widened the yoke, since the Gap shirt has shoulder straps that are a little narrower than I'm usually comfortable with. Oh, and the shoulders on the yoke don't flare up on the sides as they do on my dress form -- apparently Yvonne's shoulders slope a bit more than mine.

Here's a close-up of the back yoke. The original Gap shirt I based it on has gathers at the yoke, but I thought pleats would mimic the front, and would also be easier to sew (I know it's lazy to avoid ten inches of gathering stitches, but oh well!).




So if my next attempt at this shirt is also successful, I'll consider my pattern complete and start transferring it to the computer! Granted, I only have it sized for my measurements, but it should work as a Small/Medium and the fit is fairly forgiving.

And though you've probably figured it out by now, there's something else in the offing around here.

The only reason I didn't let my pattern drafting frustration get the better of me, is that my expanding tummy has made some new maternity tops quite necessary! Lord-willing, Little Man's sibling will be making an appearance in the Fall. We are praising God for His many blessings!


16 comments:

  1. So happy and excited for your newest blessing!

    The tunic is adorable, and I think it would work for non-maternity as well. It is very generous of you to persevere and offer the pattern for free! I'm afraid that if I attempted to draft a pattern, it would be disastrous. Even after 20 years of sewing, I still get turned around with the shapes of some pattern pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! And wonderful congratulations!! I would definitely wear that shirt for my next pregnancy. Though that may be awhile, since I've only got a month left for this one. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I love the maternity top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Shannon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Shannon!
    That is so exciting! I will pray that you have a easy pregnancy and delivery.
    Praise the Lord!
    `Olivia
    {oh, and the maternity top is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many congratulations on your wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I know how much work it is to turn a pattern into a PDF so it's very generous of you to share! It's a few days too late for me *wink* but I could see myself using this in future. I wonder how it would work with a woven cotton for the yoke and a more drapey knit for the body? You could certainly use this as a basis for much experimentation.
    Your news is very exciting; I pray you have a great remainder of your pregnancy and an equally great birth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your congratulations! :-) We're certainly excited to be welcoming a new member to the family!

    Also, thank you for your sweet words about the top! I've benefited from so many tutorials and free patterns over the years that I think it's time to pay it forward :-) Hopefully the PDF pattern will be a success -- so far, so good.

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Laura, I forgot to mention that this pattern reminded me of you, because it seems like something in your style -- but it's certainly a bit late for you this go around! :-)
    Also, I think your idea for the knit sounds great -- I happen to have a late 50's machine that refuses to sew knits, so I can't try that out myself. But hopefully someone else will! I'm also planning to try this as a dress, so we'll see how that goes. If only it were nursing friendly, as it would be so comfortable postpartum!

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Shannon! :)

    Your blouse is beautiful! I could see a couple of different ways you could turn this into a nursing garment. The easiest would be to have a center slit, hidden in the pleating at center front.

    May God grant you a safe and beautiful pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from Australia! I really enjoy reading your blog, and was so happy to read your exciting news - Congratulations! Children are such a blessing from the Lord! :) Hoping all goes well for you!
    God bless, Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! I've been following your blog for quite a while and have enjoyed seeing your sewing projects and hearing about changes in your life (marriage and kiddos)! I admire your ability to design patterns and change patterns to fit your style. Your new blouse is very nice. I'm not married so I don't have any plan to make a maternity blouse. However, I came across this dress today and thought of your blouse.
    http://freshproduceclothes.com/clothes/dresses/pintuck-tank-dress.html

    Blessings,
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Shannon! And the tunic is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH!!! Congratulations!!! What exciting news! Praying for you for a healthy baby and good birth. May the Lord bless you and the little one you are carrying.

    Love your blouse. It's lovely!
    Blessings,
    ~Shannalee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!