Thursday, March 20, 2014

Rosa's First Purse

While it's certainly been amusing to see Rosa trying to lug too-big bags around the house (one tiny arm hiked up in a vain effort to keep the strap on her shoulder), I decided to make her a bag more fitted to her diminutive scale. And while I'm not the girly makeup/nail polish/frou frou sort of mom, it was fun to sew my baby girl her very first purse!





The purse fabric is actually a Waverly print I bought at Wal-Mart almost a decade ago, and the solid pink is from a set of dresser scarves that my mother-in-law passed along. It's nice when I don't have to go digging in my purse to make one for Rosa!



I drafted the pattern myself, after searching in vain for a free tutorial or pattern online. I stuck with simple shapes and measurements, and it turned out just fine (though that curved "yoke" piece was a beast to attach to the main body of the purse!).

A little wooden toggle serves as a closure (though I doubt Rosa will be able to manage it for several years!).




For the straps, I went simple -- two strips sewn together and tapered at the ends, and tied in a double knot. I know, I really shouldn't try so hard. *wink*




Now Mama's stash is smaller and Rosa has the perfect receptacle for her little books and toys. That makes two happy girls!

4 comments:

  1. That's so cute! What a great idea. When Rosie gets bigger I'll have to keep it in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah -- I'm sure Rosie would love one when she's a little older!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I just found a pattern here, for free, that you may want to consider. It is perfect! I love your's too! Thanks for replying to my email today by the way. I will let you know how my projects turn out.

    http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute bag! It could easily be adapted for a toddler by reducing the size, I would think. Thanks for sharing!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!