Monday, October 20, 2014

Rosa's Favorite Read Aloud

I've had to excercise a great deal of restraint lately, as I've grown more and more excited about collecting children's literature. Now that I'm reading aloud more and more to the littles, I've been compiling a collection of books (here's my Pinterest board) that we own or would like to own/read. Little by little, I add to our collection. I like to take my time, selecting books that meet my particular set of criteria -- no bad attitudes, unaddressed bad behaviors, or diametrically different worldviews; lovely artwork; and a "worthwhile" story (though I do struggle to find much of a moral in "Sheep in a Jeep," which is one of our favorites... *wink*). I learned so much from literature as a child, and I want to share that with our children.

Lately I've been getting multiple requests per day for Rosa's favorite book (a childhood favorite of mine): Baby Come Out by Fran Manushkin, illustrated by Ronald Himler. It's not very well known, and only recently returned from "out-of-print" status. I'm so glad it did, because it delights me even more as an adult than it did when I was a child!




Whimsical illustrations accompany the charming story, in which a rather stubborn baby is coaxed to "come out" because she wants a kiss from her daddy. I love the way the baby is portrayed (very "tastefully" naked), as I think it emphasizes the concept of personhood before birth. 




I also love the attitude of the family -- no jealous siblings, no angst. Just a great deal of love and eagerness to meet the new baby. 




It has certainly sparked plenty of excitement with our littles, as they anticipate the arrival of their sibling! Little Man likes to talk to the baby, telling it that he loves it, and explaining that it must get bigger and then it can come out. It's delightful to share these moments with them, especially now that Little Man is old enough to understand a bit more. I can't wait to see, Lord willing, their reactions when the baby does come! I wonder how many times we'll have read Baby Come Out before then?


6 comments:

  1. Sorry, I just realised I left a comment (or at least I think I did, but it may not have worked!) asking for to share a list of books and then I realised that I'd missed your pinterest link. Thanks for sharing, I'm excited to share old favourites with Clem as he grows up and I loved looking at your link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,

      I hope you enjoy my list! It's far from complete (it's missing some obvious classics, like Beatrix Potter and Winnie the Pooh -- partly because they *are* so obvious that I'm unlikely to forget them :-), but it's nice having a place to keep ideas. I'm looking forward to sharing more advanced books with the littles as they grow older, too!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. It looks like a beautiful story. I'll have to add it to my own wish list of books!
    By the way, I think the moral of "Sheep in a Jeep" is not to drive while distracted, ;). Or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right about "Sheep in a Jeep" -- distracted driving is certainly a hazard! ;-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. What a charming little book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Pepper,

      I think "charming" is the perfect word to describe it! :-)

      Have a lovely day!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!