Saturday, May 30, 2015

Bits and Pieces

I am so utterly delighted that both of my children like to drink tea. This warms the inner workings of my Anglophilic heart like nobody's business! Granted, I shall have to wait to introduce them to the glories of black tea until I'm willing to let them consume caffeine, but Red Raspberry leaf tea will do for now (besides, it's quite healthy and actually reminds me of black tea). 

I recently unpacked a set of dishes I had as a child, and decided that it was time for Rosa to have her own tea mug -- Little Man has my childhood Postman Pat mug, so it seemed appropriate for Rosa to have my Mrs. Tiggywinkle mug! It's the perfect size for her chubby little fingers.






Life is speeding by -- not busy, really (I'm trying to avoid using the word "busy" these days, because it's so overused in our culture), but very full. The roses on our back porch finally bloomed, much to my delight. I couldn't believe the profusion of roses a few weeks ago! They've all bloomed out now, but for a few weeks our locale seemed covered in them. 




Also, Little Man's type A tendencies are becoming increasingly apparent. Just take a gander at this very symmetrical creation:




During a recent visit to Barnes and Noble, he sat at the Duplo table and made a square house -- the entire first layer of bricks was one color, and the second layer was another color. As a child, I was a bit psychotic about matching, symmetrical Lego colors, so it's interesting to see that Little Man is the same way!

I have more to share -- a few projects and such -- but between a visit from my family (hurray!) and my general lack of motivation to upload pictures, that will have to wait for another time. It seems strange to be saying goodbye to May already. I wonder what June will have in store?



6 comments:

  1. Hurrah for more tea lovers in the family. I remember how excited I was to live in England where tea was offered first; for a non-coffee drinker that is heaven. How sweet that the tea cups that originated in England are now being used by your children and the tradition of having tea together continues. You were quite fond of our outings to tea shops in England, especially when they included scones with lemon curd and clotted cream! Thank you for keeping "tea parties" a part of your family life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum,

      Oh, how I remember those tea shops! Especially the one that had Old Country Roses. And adding multiple sugar cubes to my tea & not stirring it all the way, so I could eat the sugar slush left at the bottom of the cup. :-) I don't do that anymore... but I still *want* to, you know?

      Love,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I drink black tea with a little milk and honey, I am wondering if I might like red raspberry leaf the same way. Thus far I can only drink it with a lot of mint mixed in. I know it is so full of good things I wish I could find a way to get myself to drink it more.

    The cup is adorable! I so want to order a Royal Doulton set for my little one. I have found beautiful vintage ones on eBay but she is still very young. Some day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Cote,

      I drink red raspberry leaf just like black tea, and while it's not as good as my favorite Earl Grey, it's good! Actually, sometimes I'll brew it *with* Earl Grey or another black tea, as I don't notice the herbal tea at all that way. :-) I need to drink it more often, because (as you said) it's so full of good things!

      I hope you are able to find the perfect set for your little one when the time is right! There's something so sweet about well-made china in such a petite size! I have a porridge bowl, plate, and egg-cup in the same Mrs. Tiggy Winkle pattern, but I'm still a bit nervous about letting a two year old use them...

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Love the Beatrix Potter cup! Wish we lived closer so our children could enjoy a tea party together. Both Edmund and Lavinia usually beg me for tea whenever they see me making myself a cuppa. Of course, that's usually after I've brewed it and just sat down to enjoy... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      It would indeed be lovely to share tea parties together! And apparently your children have the same remarkable timing as mine. ;-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!