Friday, November 04, 2016

Checked Out

Inspired by some of Cheri's literary finds, I decided to search my local library -- I've read Kate Douglas Wiggin's Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and New Chronicles of Rebecca (and thoroughly enjoyed them!), but hadn't read any of her other books. I was reminded, too, that it's been quite some time since I've read any Sarah Orne Jewett books.

My search turned up several gems, which were labeled as "in storage." Namely, Creeping Jenny and Other Stories by Kate Douglas Wiggin, and The Queen's Twin and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett. I put them on hold, and shortly afterwards I was notified that they were waiting for my at my local branch. What I found were antique books, beautifully bound. This one, for instance, was just the 2,709th book to be added to the library system, back in 1929:

I wonder what constitutes a "Special Book?" And considering that the fine is still only 10 cents, I feel that the
fines were rather steep!


This one was a bit newer, but it still had its old-fashioned card -- the earliest date was 1979, and the latest was 1988. Which is a strange thought. People were checking out this rather obscure book before I was even born. I wonder who they were, whether they liked it as much I did, and if we had anything else in common?




I confess that Sarah Orne Jewett's writings have made me fall in love with early 20th century Maine, to the point that an extended vacation there (albeit in the 21st century) is high on my bucket list. I didn't realize that Kate Douglas Wiggin also hailed from Maine! So perhaps I really do just have a natural inclination for Maine, or people from Maine, or just stories written in/about Maine? At any rate, both were well worth a read -- simple, sweet stories about everyday life, told in such a charming way.

I'm sure the librarians were a bit startled that I was checking out something other than picture books...

8 comments:

  1. These are so cool!

    I live only 20 minutes from her town of South Berwick, ME. ;-) I'll have to read something by her!

    Best,
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, Cari! I didn't even realize that her house was a museum. I'm trying very, very hard not to be jealous... ;-) Hope you enjoy Sarah's writing as much as I do!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
    2. I checked with my library, her titles are in storage as well but I am going to place them on hold ;-)

      Delete
    3. Nice! I didn't know before now that libraries had "storage" -- hope you enjoy them!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. What a fun post! Your requests must have caught the eyes of the librarians processing them, since they hadn't been circulated in a while. :) Have you read Mother Carey's Chickens by KDW? That is SUCH a good story, and the majority of it takes place in (a fictional town in) Maine. :) Disney based a Haley Mills' movie on it called "Summer Magic" and that was cute on its own, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MrsSM,

      I haven't read Mother Carey's Chickens, but I grew up on "Summer Magic!" I'll definitely have to find that one!

      Thanks for stopping by, and for the recommendation!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Neat! I still have my copy of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm from when I was a kid (of course my mom bought me a book about a girl who shared my name), but am not familiar with the other authors that you mentioned. I'll have to look into them. And I'm sure my local library will be shocked if I ever get to reserving anything that's not a picture book, at least a book that isn't through Overdrive on my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I never read "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" as a kid? I thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult, though. :-) If you love simple, peaceful, contemplative writing, you'll probably like Sarah Orne Jewett -- her books remind me of the loveliest impressionistic paintings, with lots of light and shadow.

      Oh yes, I do love a good library e-book! E-book equals "Don't have to go inside the library building with three children," and that's a win in my book! ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!