Sunday, January 01, 2017

Out With the Old, In With the New

As the year draws to a close, I've been looking forward to a fresh, brand-new year! I don't do New Year's resolutions on principle, but a new year does feel like a good opportunity to retrofit systems that aren't working.

In this case, it's a simple cleaning calendar. A few tasks to do each day (Monday through Friday). It's not a list for daily tasks (like making the bed), but rather for weekly/bimonthly/monthly tasks that I easily overlook, postpone... or just plain avoid! *cough*




I've uploaded the file so that you can use it, too! I've printed and laminated mine -- then I can fill in the appropriate month and dates with a dry-erase marker, check off the completed tasks, erase at the end of the month, and fill in for the new month. If you don't want to laminate, you could just print a new schedule each month. I've also included a blank version, in case you prefer to fill in your own tasks.

Monthly Cleaning Schedule Printable
Monthly Cleaning Schedule Printable -- Blank

To use the printable -- press "print," but make sure you've selected landscape orientation, and no margins (or 100%). To add text to the blank version, either use your computer editing software, or you can upload to a website like PicMonkey and add text -- the teal color is 569894, if you want to match it exactly.

By the way, the lovely watercolor rose and leaves come from The Smell of Roses, which generously offers many lovely designs for free!

I like the idea of a monthly calendar, because it will help me see which tasks were done over the course of several weeks (and which weren't!). We'll see how it goes.

A few more thoughts along the way...
  • I've done a five day schedule because, quite frankly, I do not want to do housework on the weekends! Of course I'll be doing "as needed" tasks on those days (washing dishes, etc.), but I'd rather not plan anything.
  • My schedule is not very detailed -- for instance, "Kitchen" on Thursday means a deeper-than-usual kitchen cleaning, including stainless steel appliances, cabinets, sink shining, etc.  I don't have trouble remembering the individual tasks, just the task in general (hence the brevity!). And it may vary a bit from week to week, depending on how dirty things have gotten. I'm not going to deep-clean a clean kitchen.
  • I tend to prefer completing one type of cleaning in one go, rather than spreading it out over the week. Rather than vacuuming a few rooms per day, I'd rather just go around the whole house! Some people prefer to do a room at a time.
  • I've designed my schedule with grocery shopping on Mondays (we meal plan over the weekends) and a light-ish day on Wednesdays (Bible study in the morning). If you fill in your own sheet, it might be helpful to keep your weekly plans in mind and plan less (or no!) housework on days that are always busy.
  • I've listed laundry twice during the week (plus sheets on Tuesdays), but I'll generally do at least two loads on Monday (kid clothes and adult clothes), and additional loads throughout the week as needed. Monday/Thursday is the bare minimum for me to stay on top of things. Also, I've listed sheets weekly (we spend hours sweating on them every night!), but only wash our bath towels every two weeks (we spend a few minutes drying off clean bodies, and I don't even bathe our kids every day). That may not be everyone's cup of tea...

As for the "philosophy of clean," I highly recommend Having a Martha Home the Mary Way by Sarah Mae. Technically I'm still working my way through it, but it has been both refreshing and enjoyable. Consistent cleaning is something I struggle with (I'd much rather be sewing! Or reading! Or blogging!), and Sarah Mae's book is giving me renewed purpose.

I hope and pray you are richly blessed in the New Year!

Updated 1/11/17 -- I changed the calendar slightly, because I'd forgotten to include dusting (how?!?!). I wish I could say that was because remembering to dust was something that came naturally to me.... 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the printable schedules. Happy New Year to you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that-- though honestly, I'm still struggling to just get a routine established for the absolute most basic cleaning! Cleaning is definitely my housework nemesis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! There are so many other more *interesting* things to do, am I right?! I kind of envy those people who actually enjoy cleaning. I do love seeing things look better -- but apparently not enough to prompt me to do it regularly... ;-) I'm hoping that just a few things per day will be a light enough load for me to sustain long-term; I know in the past I've tried too much at once or more complicated systems, which inevitably fall by the wayside (generally very quickly!). Fingers crossed...

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!