Saturday, March 11, 2017

Linen Love

I've been wanting a linen apron for a while now -- there are so many lovely examples out there to whet one's appetite! Which makes me think, by the by, how happy I am that linen is making a comeback. I feel like it was ignored for quite a while (probably because it was viewed as inseparable from copious amounts of starch!), but now I am seeing it everywhere. Even linen sheets are becoming more commonplace at "trendier" retailers.

But back to aprons. I've been eyeing the simple cross-back "pinafore" aprons, but with an ever-growing belly bump, that's not the most practical style for me at this stage. I needed something bump-friendly, but none of the empire styles I saw were quite what I was looking for. At last I remembered a picture I'd saved from The Vermont Apron Company, and the solution was clear:




Here's the apron that inspired my design (obviously very strongly!):



This was a multi-purpose project -- not only did it solve my need for a new apron, it also used up the grey Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen Blend, which was still in my stash because it wasn't quite the color I'd expected.

I adjusted the design for my needs -- first of all, I added several tucks to the bodice (I measured these carefully with a ruler and a disappearing fabric marker, knowing that they'd be very visible!). This creates some extra fullness in the center front, perfect for "the bump." A few wooden buttons seemed right, somehow:





The hardest part was figuring out how to drape the fabric! My dressform, "Yvonne," was invaluable for that bit. After perusing the Vermont Apron Co. pictures, I cut my yardage straight across the grain, added my tucks to the center of the fabric, and hemmed the top edge. Then the issue was draping the apron without cutting too high up under the arms (that didn't sound comfortable!). However, when I'd solved that to my satisfaction, it created the perfect pleats for the bodice "sides" -- my favorite part of the original apron! I sewed up the sash (making it long enough to wrap around and tie in the front), as well as the neck ties. The sash is top-stitched, which holds down the pleats and provides a "waist" for the apron. 





At this point I picked the length I wanted for the apron (again, Yvonne was so helpful!) and marked a hem with pins -- I didn't want the pointed handkerchief hem of the original apron. I curved it up around the sides, cut, pressed, and stitched.


Bump!

Here's a better view of how the apron looks untied -- for the record, I did not measure or exactly match those side bodice pleats. I evened them out by eye, and they seem fine. This whole project was a bit improvised, so I didn't see the need to get too technical at that point!




This apron is perfect for maternity wear, and should still work well afterwards! I would say my one dislike are the neck ties. I just don't like aprons that tie around the back of the neck! I may stitch the neck ties to the back of the apron (where the sash "leaves" the bodice; my fingertips are just there in the picture above), either straight or in a criss-cross. Oh, and I didn't have enough of my fabric to add pockets, so I may do something about that...

But those are nitpicks. For now I'm content to have something that keeps me a little tidier!

7 comments:

  1. I love it! Beautiful job! The buttons are perfect next to the tucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I was a bit nervous about adding buttons (sometimes simple is best), so I'm glad you like them! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I love the original inspiration, I pinned it, probably from you, ages ago. I have to say the hankerchief hem is one of my favorite aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia Rachelle,

      How funny that you pinned the same apron! I do like handkerchief hems usually, but for some reason I felt like it would just end up in the way (or getting dirty!) if I were bending down. Maybe I'll have to try it if this apron is successful enough to warrant another one when it wears out! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Shannon,

    Your new apron is beautiful!! I love the details you added. You look so lovely!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and enjoy your blog from here in NZ, but rarely comment. This apron is really lovely! And so nice to know that there are people besides me who do wear aprons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm not very good at wearing aprons -- and actually had none before I made this, because I'd gotten rid of several that I *never* wore. But I am trying to be better, and I think this apron might be the ticket. I tend to forget I'm wearing it once it's on. :-) Here's hoping I've turned over a new leaf...

      I do so appreciate your stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!