Friday, March 03, 2017

Tea Time

At long last, tea time has become a tradition in our home. I've been wanting to make it a more regular feature, but amidst all of life's other demands it just hasn't happened. Or rather, I haven't made it happen. Then I had an impromptu tea party with Rosa (a bit of a consolation, as Daddy and older brother were going to the hardware store without her!), and her rapturous accounts of tea and chocolate orange slices made Little Man eager to join in the fun. 




So, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, we had a tea party. China cups and plates, a tablecloth, fresh fruit and a sweet treat. It was such a success that the littles begged to do it again -- and so, for the past five or six Sunday afternoons, we've had our little parties together. They are simple affairs, featuring whatever baked good or treat we might have on hand (or a quick batch of scones if all else fails), usually paired with some fresh fruit. This has also been the perfect time to introduce some poetry. We have this Child's Anthology (an older edition), though quite honestly I find most of the poems not really child-friendly. Paul Revere's Ride was popular enough to be requested two weeks in a row, and The Pirate Don Durk of Dowdee was also a hit! I think this week I'll pull out James Mayhew's beautifully illustrated To Sleep, Perchance to Dream.


Can't resist Trader Joe's $4 bouquets!


It has been so lovely to have an "excuse" to pull out my prettiest teacups, teapots, and dishes! I have pared down my teacup collection to a few beloved favorites, because I now have a set of cups that match my china. Which is a story in itself -- A reader contacted me about two years ago, asking if I would like her mother's china. She had seen that I'd found a Queensware teacup back in 2008, and it happened that her mother had Queensware, as well. A whole set of it! And with two outdoorsy boys, she wanted it to go to someone who would love it. Stunned by such generosity, I gratefully accepted. I've used it for special occasions ever since, but have wanted to use it more regularly; our little tea times have provided the perfect opportunity. This past week we all used the matching Queensware teacups:




So far Twining's Lady Grey has emerged as a favorite, though Rosa was quite taken with Adagio's chocolate chip tea last Sunday! I only have a sample size from a past order -- I may need to buy more soon...

What a delight it is to share these moments with my ever-bigger little ones! I'm so glad that they have kept me accountable; not a Sunday goes by that they forget it's "tea party day," and I must admit that I would not be so faithful with it if they were not so enthusiastic. This is a tradition I'd like to keep alive; the perfect chance to take a little extra time and care, to enjoy each other's company, and to feed mind, body, and soul all at the same time.

7 comments:

  1. Your tea time sounds delightful! What a great way to introduce your children to poetry. Your dishes are beautiful, and what a special story behind how you received them. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      It has definitely been a boon on the poetry front! Generally when I read aloud it's some sort of story, so a few poems at tea time are great way to change things up a bit.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. It does sound delightful! (As does that Adagio tea, I love their site and am brewing a cup of one of their fan-made blends as I type.) I've heard about these "poetry teatimes" before, and would love to be able to do something like that with my kids... but given that I'm exclusively a boy mom, I'm really not sure how that would go over, once they'd actually be old enough to try that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,

      I haven't tried any of Adagio's fan blends yet, but would love to try one! Any recommendations? :-) And I wouldn't give up hope on your all-boy household -- my oldest son is quite enthusiastic about our weekly teas. It probably helps that we always have something yummy to eat, though he does polish off two cups of tea in short order, too! I've mostly avoided over-flowery poetry so far, and the more adventurous poems seem to be a big hit. I don't think tea time is something that has ever occurred to my little guy as being odd or out of character for a boy, so perhaps early introduction is key! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
    2. I tend to look more within the fandoms I like when trying out new ones, but here's two that have particularly stood out to me: this particular Doctor Who related blend-- http://www.adagio.com/signature_blend/blend.html?blend=42176

      And while not a fandom blend, this "Irish Romance" is a long time favorite of mine. http://www.adagio.com/signature_blend/blend.html?blend=13375

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the recommendations, Becky! We're all out of chocolate chip, so I may be ordering soon... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hello sweet daughter,
    I am so happy that our little tea parties of your days have revived for your littles, and become more regular than ours. What a wonderfull idea to use it as a "poetry" time for them. I often wonder what God will do with their lives when they grow up and am delighted to see what a wealth of things that they are learning! Love from their very happy mumsy!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!