Monday, May 08, 2017

Third Time's a Charm





It seems we'll be having a third go at raising a boy!  We are over-the-moon excited (as are the littles, who give him lots of kisses) -- and now that we've actually settled on a name, the "real" stress is over. Forget birth and the ensuing 18 years of parenting, we're just relieved to have come up with a name! Seriously, how is it that my husband and I can come up with a list of girls' names as long as my arm, but when it comes to boys' names we are stumped? At any rate, I'm quite happy with what we've chosen -- hopefully our little guy will agree, once he's old enough to form an opinion on the matter.

With just about two months left in this pregnancy, I am nesting like crazy. I'm trying to work some of it off at the sewing machine (though so far, not many projects for the little guy -- I'm knitting a blanket, so I suppose I'm just using different needles?). Some salvaged leather and a felted wool sweater provided the materials for some little shoes, using this pattern. I have my doubts about how well they'll work and I'm almost positive they won't fit him this winter, but they sure are cute.




There's just something about leather and wool that I love! I have it in mind to make a pair of leather Toms (like these) for itty-bitty feet.




For the most part, though, I've been trying to tackle the little projects that have been building up -- lots of mending for the Littles, new charcoal and black maxi skirts for me (I'd worn out their predecessors!), some alterations to tops and scarves that were not being worn for easily-changed reasons, a nursing friendly knit dress, and a robe to wear at the hospital (and at home!) once our little guy makes his appearance. Did I mention that we're renovating our family room, including plastering the ceiling and filling in the grooves in the painted paneling? Once that's done we'll be painting virtually every surface in the room, including the fireplace but not including the floor... at least not intentionally. *wink* I seem fond of tackling large house projects with a large belly, considering that we laid several hundred square feet of tile at our last house when I was six months pregnant with Rosa! But I'm looking forward to some fresh new surroundings, and with a triple bunk underway in the boys' room (and a bed for Rosa to follow), there will be quite a bit in the way of new surroundings. 

With so much on the to-do list, the time is flying by! And as the little fellow in my belly keeps reminding me with his hilarious antics (and frequent bouts of hiccups), Lord willing, the best is yet to come.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the boy, hope he's a healthy little guy when he comes out! Enjoy the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It's been a picture-perfect pregnancy so far, for which I am very grateful -- I'm praying it stays that way! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Congrats!! Fun that we're having the same gender split with kids!! I'm busy nesting too.... I feel like it's a constant mental argument of feeling like everything needs to be done for the baby (you know, like clean ceiling fans and an organized Tupperware cabinet...stuff the baby will care about) and knowing that once our little guy arrives, I'll still be able to clean and organize eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, I KNOW the baby will be very upset if I don't have my closet fully organized when he arrives! :-) I think it's the "eventually" that really keeps me going -- I know I could do some of these things after he's here, but WHEN?! Granted, I'm not particularly nervous about adding a 4th to our crazy crew; how much crazier could it get, after all? *wink*

      Counting down the days with you! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Shannon! How exciting! : ) The little shoes are so precious! I am sure the next two months will fly by, especially with so many projects to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! The projects are certainly helping the time pass -- I am trying not to feel overwhelmed by my to-do list, but staying busy is really a boon for this impatient mama. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!