Wednesday, June 05, 2019

June Yarn Along: Knit, knit, knit

I feel like I'm holding my breath with my Balta top. I'm doing everything wrong with this pattern! I'm using the wrong weight yarn (which I also don't have enough of), I'm "shortening" the pattern because I don't want it quite that long (and again, not enough yarn!), and I don't think my gauge is even correct. I'm hoping that three (or four?) wrongs make a right, and that this top surpasses my wildest expectations. Well, fine, I'll be satisfied if it fits! The fabric seems to be quite stretchy, so hopefully it will be forgiving.





I'm knitting it in the round, which means less seaming at the end and few purl rows (my least favorite part of stockinette!). It's been nice to have something so mindless; all I have to do is keep track of rows so I know when to decrease. But it's also been a bit tedious to just knit, knit, knit, and I'm very happy to have started the armholes and (at last!) the twisted rib and lace sections. I'm trying to actually read the chart this time, rather than just writing it out. 

I purchased this KnitPicks Lindy Chain years ago for a cropped cardigan, but the project was a bit ambitious for my skill level, and by the time I could have tackled it the cardigan didn't seem as appealing. I just noticed while opening a new skein of yarn that the colorway is "Sagebrush" -- a plant totally unfamiliar to me when I bought this yarn, but which is now a definitive feature of my current landscape! It was a happy little discovery, and made me feel that the timing is just right.




My current reads are Return to Gone Away and Knights in Training. The former is the sequel to Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright, written in the late 50's. It's honestly one of the most delightful children's books I've ever read, and Return to Gone Away is just as good thus far. I bought the sequel for Little Man and Rosa because they enjoyed Gone Away Lake so much, and Rosa proceeded to finish the entire book in one afternoon. It's taking me considerably longer than that, so apparently my six-year-old can already out-read me! I'm just remembering that I first found out about Gone Away Lake through Ginny's blog, so it's appropriate that it features here for Yarn Along!

Knights in Training, by Heather Haupt, is a book that's interested me for quite a while. As the younger of two daughters, any help in the "raising boys" department is much appreciated!


Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along:





8 comments:

  1. That is a lovely color yarn, what is the feel of the yarn? I have CotLin and just don't love it although reviewers say the more you wash linen the softer it gets?

    I read Gone Away Lake for the first time this year. I though it was sweet. I also read The Saturdays by the same author and like that even better, it's a series as well. Middle grade novels are a nice easy read even for those of us without kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia Rachelle,

      I actually like the feel of Lindy chain, but then again I like CotLin, too. Lindy chain is not really soft (it might soften up, and that would be great!), but I'm planning to wear this top over a camisole due to its loosish weave, so I'm not super concerned about softness. It's been pleasant to knit with, and the fabric is pretty stretchy. My one concern with this top is that I might have started the armhole too soon, and that the final decreases in the bodice might by oddly placed. But I'm not sure how to check for that without finishing! Eek. Here's hoping it turns out!

      I'll have to look into "The Saturdays!" I really love Elizabeth Enright's writing style -- how many stories are written these days about children who befriend elderly people? A good book is a good book, no matter what age it's written for. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. your top looks beautiful so far! love the color. and thank you for the book recommendation, i am going to check it out for my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope it turns out (and that I can finish it soon -- I'm getting impatient ;-). The color is truly lovely, and I'm so glad I'm finally able to use this yarn.

      Hope you enjoy the books as much as our family has, and thank you for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Nice! I go back and forth about CotLin--I've used it a couple of times now, and sometimes I don't mind the feel of it while I knit and other times it feels very "bark-y"--is that a word? I do like how it blocks up afterward though, and it drapes so nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it blocks nicely! I know you're supposed to swatch and block before starting a project, but when have I ever done that? ;-) I completely agree that the feel is interesting. It's a yarn I'd only use for specific projects, I think.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. I read h one away to my kids years ago, but don't remember reading return. I'll have to look that up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I think it's superb!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!