Wednesday, October 02, 2019

October Yarn Along: Hat-orama

October is here, accompanied by chilly mornings and frosty nights. The cold weather set in quite suddenly on a blustery day, and it seems it's here to stay (though highs will hit the low 80's later this week). In fact, we had an unexpected freeze last night (well, I didn't expect it because I don't pay attention...) and our garden is officially done. Oh well, it was a difficult year for gardening, and I'm almost relieved it's over.

I haven't done much reading this month, though I've been participating in the fall Bible Reading Challenge, mostly through audio Bible. I did receive Risen Motherhood in the mail, which I've been eagerly awaiting! I'm not far into it yet, but it's been such a blessing and a perfectly timed "re-calibration" on the motherhood front. It's so easy to get swept up in the immediate needs of running a household, and lose sight of the purpose of motherhood. I love how Emily and Laura point back to the Gospel in every area!

Things have been bright in the knitting realm. I finished up my "Birthday Sweater," finished up a pair of Rye Lights (intended for my oldest son, but ultimately mine because they were larger than anticipated), and started on a set of winter gear for my littles. First up were hats, all in different shades of Wool of the Andes worsted. Mittens and scarves will follow, and they're all in  my children's favorite colors -- well, Scout hasn't declared a favorite color yet, but since his older brothers have claimed red and green, I opted for blue.





Little Man has a Gingerbread Hat in colorway "Garnet Heather:"







Rosa has a January Hat in colorway "Blossom Heather:"







Laddie has a Slouchy Diamond Cap (with double "diamonds," since his hat is a bit plainer than the others) in colorway "Shire Heather:"






And Scout has an Owl Hat (in progress) in colorway "Icicle Heather:"




They've been flying off the needles (such a lovely feeling!), and I'm hoping to finish up the last hat tonight. I'll probably start mittens next, which should also be pretty quick -- I'll probably knit them two-at-a-time on DPNs.

I also have several sweaters I'd like to knit soon, so I doubt I'll be relaxing my knitting pace anytime soon! Fall is such a lovely time to be knitting, isn't it?

Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along:






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, and I bet your children will appreciate it with the cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bekah! My toddler was running around the house wearing his sister's hat today -- good thing his is blocking now! :-) I'm grateful they're so excited when I make them things.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Beautiful knitted hats of warmth and color, you will feel so good to have clothed your little one's heads in such a fashion. If you are reading the Bible, that is by far the best book to read, as you know.🙂
    And I totally agree, autumn is a lovely time to be knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! And yes, you are quite right -- the Bible is the best book! Over the past few years I've learned to enjoy it much more in its own right, as a work of literature as well as its more important role of God's infallible Word.

      Happy autumn knitting to you!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. All of the hats look lovely! I can't wait to see how the owls turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana! The owls are blocking now (it always takes so much longer to dry than I'm willing to wait...), so I'll post a pic soon!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!