Wednesday, April 01, 2020

April Yarn Along: Keep Calm and Knit On

Knitting was so befuddling and so brain-consuming when I first started that I never could have imagined how therapeutic it would be. The gentle click of the needles, the growing shape of a garment, the texture of yarn in my fingers, the calming repetition -- I love it all. I can listen to my audio Bible and allow truth to infuse my soul while I craft. I can relax with a movie while still being productive. I can work in silence and let my mind untangle jumbled, fretful thoughts while my hands are busy. 

That last one is so helpful, no matter what troubles may be churning in my mind. Just keep calm and knit on.

It's been a decent month for knitting -- I've made progress on the Thistle sweater and knit two pairs of socks (1 & 2). Now that I've discovered twin stitch short rows (through the Fish Lips Kiss Heel pattern) I'm not dreading the second sleeve cap on this sweater, and I'm anticipating finishing this project up shortly. Though I'm currently doing surgery on my almost-finished sleeve, because something happened between two stitches about 25 rows back... *sigh*  I've also managed to knit this sleeve a bit long, so I might rip back a few rows and start the cuff a bit sooner. It all depends on how much Little Man's arms will grow over the summer, and unfortunately that's a factor I can't predict!




I'm also close to finishing Word to Caesar, which has been a delightful read so far -- very much along the lines of Cue for Treason, my last read and the only other Geoffrey Trease novel I've read. I think he was a rather prolific writer, and I'm looking forward to reading more of his books. They would make perfect read-alouds for school! It's always a delight to find a "new" author, isn't it?




Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along



2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    Your knitting projects are looking fabulous! That is such a handsome sweater you are knitting for your son. I just love how you are knitting socks for your little ones. I haven't knit any socks in ages. I should knit some for Jemimah.: )

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Thank you for your kind words! Little Man likes his sweater (finished now -- yay!), though I'm almost certain he won't get to wear it before the Fall. You never know out here, though! We get cold spells up through Mother's Day, so there's hope yet...

      I'm enjoying how a quick little pair of socks offers a change of pace during a bigger project! My five-year-old, Laddie, is going to "help" me dye some yarn for his first pair of Mama-made socks. :-) He's quite excited about it.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!