Thursday, May 14, 2020

Southern Roots

I've been eyeing a certain style of knitting pattern for ages -- but since most were written in Danish, all I could do was sigh and scroll on. It seems that more and more are finding their way into English, and when I came across the Magnolia mini pattern by Camilla Vad, I added it to my queue straight away! The name seemed appropriate, since Rosa has spent most of her life in Magnolia "territory." 




I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in "Amethyst Heather" -- it was quite reduced, so I only spent $12 on yarn (and I have more than a skein left, which will probably be used to make something for one of Rosa's dolls). And it's the perfect color for my pink-and-purple loving girl! Hopefully Rosa will still wear it, despite her sensitivity to scratchy wool. It did soften up quite a bit when I blocked it.



I love twisted rib, even if it's not as easy to knit as regular ribbing!


This was only my second sweater with yoke increases/short rows (I used twin stitch), and it went well overall -- though I did have to frog the yoke a bit past the ribbing, because it came out so small! It stretched over Rosa's head, but came up so high on her neck that I knew it would be uncomfortable. I restarted a size larger (8/9), and then went down a size when it was time to separate the sleeves. I'm so relieved that it worked, and the sizing seems perfect (I made it slightly large, so that it will fit Rosa in the fall).









I omitted knitting the lace pattern on the sleeves -- the lace instructions had been a bit confusing, and by the time I get to the sleeves I'm ready to just finish. I think I actually prefer it with plain sleeves, anyway! Or maybe I'm just trying to justify my laziness?




I'm so pleased to have this project done, and it's now stowed away for the Fall. There's also an adult version, so maybe one day...



2 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    Rosa's sweater is gorgeous! The flower lace design makes this sweater so special. I am sure your daughter will cherish it always.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I couldn't resist that lace design. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!