Thursday, July 02, 2020

July Yarn Along: Splashing Along

How is the year half over? I can't quite wrap my mind around it, to be honest. I'm feeling wistful these days, especially as my "baby" will be turning three this month. I'd hoped 2020 would be the "rainbow" after a long, dark valley. I feel stuck, somehow, even though the months are flying by.

So while I wait for a break in the storm clouds, I knit. And read. 

I'm currently taking a break from my Roseroot top, which is proving to be a bit of a sizing headache -- I think my yarn substitution is considerably lighter weight than the recommended yarn, even though both are fingering weight. I've finished up the lace yoke, but now have to figure out how to size the armholes properly. I suspect it will involve frogging back a few rows, including some cast-off stitches that I'd already redone once -- hence the break to work on a different project!

So I finally cast on a Cowboys and Angels shawl last week, inspired by Pleximama's lovely version (and it's not the first time I've copied her, either! *wink*). Somehow I've been knitting for six years and still hadn't made the obligatory shawl yet -- probably because I wouldn't have really worn one. But this particular design caught my eye straight away, and I decided to give it a go once I found a suitable yarn. That "suitable yarn" is KnitCrate Lofti DK in "Mittens," which is easy to work with and has such a beautiful marled look. It's going to be deliciously cozy. So far this has been a satisfying knit, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first trellis section. Also, this pattern has the best "bobble" instructions (and results) I've ever encountered. Right now I'm working through the almost-mindless garter section, and it's been the perfect project to take to the neighborhood splash pad -- after having all of our parks and common areas closed for months, the splash pad turned on at the beginning of June, right on schedule. I was so grateful! Most of this shawl has been knit in the shade while my littles careen down the water slides and make obscene amounts of noise. It's been lovely. 




I actually have several books going right now, and have been reading a bit more than usual. My primary read is The Envy of Eve by Melissa Kruger. I'm not too far through it yet, but so far it is excellent and very, very convicting. Uncomfortably so! I'm moving relatively slowly because it is a very solid, thoughtful book -- I'm trying to take the time to reflect on what I'm reading. 

I'm also still slowly working through my Beatrix Potter book. A chapter here, a few pages there -- it's a book to savor, anyway, so I'm not disappointed at my slow pace. 



Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along:




6 comments:

  1. That looks like it will be a big heavy shawl! t is lookng lovely so far. The Envy of Eve seems interesting - it certainly is difficult not to compare with others and be discontent with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it will be quite cozy! I'm hoping I actually end up wearing it. :-)

      Thanks for your kind words!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the stuck feeling--it's a hard time, with everything still closed, and feeling like so much is still up in the air. The uncertainty of it all. I'm glad your splash pad is open! That's a blessing. Our parks are still closed, but the city said they might turn on the splash pads Monday. We'll see. My older kids are starting to age out of those, but with the pools closed, it will have to do in this heat!

    It took me a while to knit shawls too, because I don't wear them like that, but they are great as general neckwear! I tend to wear the point in front and wrap the ends around to hang down the sides. If it is an asymmetrical shawl, I'll just get creative with the shaping. Hope you enjoy wearing yours--that pink is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliana,

      We're blessed that our military housing community has a splash pad, because we live in a very small town with few activities for children! I hope your city starts opening up the parks/splash pads soon -- I feel so bad for children right now, who are cooped up so much more than usual and have few outlets for all their energy!

      And thanks for the tip on shawl-wearing! I'll definitely have to try that, because I'd love to include more shawls in my wardrobe.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Your Cowboys and Angels shawl is simply gorgeous! I love the yarn you chose. That trellis stitch *was* fun, and Isabell Kraemer’s patterns are invariably well-written.

    I’m adding The Envy of Eve to my embarrassingly long to-read list. It looks very good.

    You’re in my thoughts and prayers as you navigate this particular valley in your life. xoxo

    -Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,

      Thank you for your kind words! The yarn ended up coming in a subscription box, and I was so pleased to finally have something that would work. I'll have to check out Isabell Kraemer's other patterns if they're as good as this one!

      And thank you for your prayers -- they are such an encouragement to me.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!