Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Christmas Pajamas: 2021

I really put off the annual Christmas pajamas this year -- sometimes I'm done by Thanksgiving, other years I'm adding the finishing touches on Christmas Eve morning! I did manage to finish these up a day "early," but goodness, you'd think by now I'd have figured out that it's worth it to start a bit earlier?

Anyway, they all turned out and that's the main thing! All four children got "coordinating" pajamas this year, with a Star Wars theme. I found some cotton Star Wars prints at JoAnn's, for the pajama pants -- four pairs of simple pajama pants go together surprisingly (and thankfully) quickly!

For the tops, I used some Telio organic cotton slub jersey, in grey for the boys and rose for Rosa (appropriately). 

Amazingly, I was able to find the perfect fabrics for the appliques in my stash, with one exception! I even had some Wonder Under left over, which I hadn't even thought to look for until it was time to start sewing. For all of the appliques, I found images online that would translate well to silhouettes. I printed them out and traced them on my WonderUnder. As I was working with all knit fabrics, I didn't bother with fancy edges and did a simple straight stitch as close to the edge of each design as possible.

Scout got a "baby Yoda with his bone broth" shirt, with the backside of some sweatshirt fleece for the fuzzy tunic. The green was some leftover mineral knit from Birch fabrics. 




Little Man's was the easiest design, a simple Mandalorian helmet:




And Laddie's was the most complicated, with a rather detailed BB8 motif! I did buy a thrifted orange tee for this applique, since I was quite sure I didn't have anything in that shade in my stash.




Rosa got Princess Leia -- I used a tiny scrap of Birch Organics french terry in "Marsala" for the lips, which I'd actually purchased to make another Jasper sweatshirt dress for myself. I ended up lining the pocket of my sweatshirt dress with the leftover jersey from Rosa's shirt, which seemed serendipitous. And there was enough french terry left to make a coordinating dress for Rosa... but I'll post them another time.








At last, all wrapped and ready to go under the tree! The littles were delighted with their Star Wars creations (they each also received Star Wars Lego sets the next day, so perhaps that was our theme this year?), and have worn them often ever since. As someone who rarely spends more than $1 for an entire set of pajamas, this is quite the yearly splurge! But it's well worth the looks on their faces, and  since they wear their Christmas pajamas until they are literally falling apart, it's a decent investment. 



For Christmas pajamas in years past:


2 comments:

  1. Those pajamas are impressive! What a special Christmas gift for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) I did really enjoy the details this time, despite the time crunch. And when they're so loved by the recipients, the effort is worth it.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!