I always need white shirts. Always. No matter how many I have in my closet, I invariably find that the blouses I have aren't *quite* what I need for a certain outfit, or that my favorites have worn out. I decided to make a less detailed blouse this time, a blouse that I could wear with sweaters, under jackets, etc.
Using
Simplicity 4499 as my base pattern, I used a puffed sleeve from a McCall's pattern. I omitted the collar and instead drafted a "facing" that I applied to the outside. As an afterthought, I added several rows of topstitching:
An after-after thought was a topstitched belt, carrying over the collar detail:
It seems strange to still be sewing for Summer, but Fall hasn't made even the slightest appearance in this area of the country!
Sweet Shannon, if you come to Texas again, will you teach me how to make beautiful shirts like you?? :) I love the blouse... I too am always needing a white shirt!
ReplyDeleteNow that is one cute top, even if it is basic white! Love the facing details!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! As always... The top stitching adds a lot of interest.
ReplyDeleteOh, What a cute shirt Shannon! I love the top stitching!
ReplyDelete*sigh* I wish it was still summer here in the PNW! I love my summer clothes!
~Nona
I LOVE this blouse!!!! So lovely!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Lauren...I'd love for you to teach me how to make such lovely blouses:-)
Have a blessed Lord's Day!
Lots of love,
Sommer...who also is not seeing any sign of fall just yet:-(
Beautiful top- I wish I was a quarter as talented as you! It is hot enough here that I am finding it hard to abide the "no white shoes after labor day" rule.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words! I wish I felt I deserved them :-)
ReplyDeleteNona, want to trade places for the winter? I'm definitely not a summer girl ;-)
Lara, I figure that Florida is the land of eternal summer, so I don't pay attention to the Labor day rules -- of course, I don't have any white shoes right now, anyway! ;-)
Thank you so much for your comments!
Yours in Christ,
Shannon
Another beautiful creation by one of the best seamstresses I know. Ah well, at least you are inspiring me. :D
ReplyDeleteMaria Pauline
What types of fabric do you use for your white blouses? I made a white blouse this summer and used a "white on white" small print to try to get something less see through. But now it doesn't match my printed skirts... Any suggestions? I have been really blessed by seeing the different blouses that you've made. It's been inspiring! Thanks!
ReplyDelete~Michelle in CA where it's also still hot :)
Michelle, for this blouse I used muslin (I think! I really can't remember exactly what it was, but I'm pretty sure). Natural-colored undergarments have almost eliminated my problems with see-through blouses (within reason, of course!). I also have a medium-weight 100% cotton sheet from a local charity shop that will make a nice blouse or two!
ReplyDeleteI hope that helps! I've had the same trouble with finding white fabric that isn't too see-through.
Yours in Christ,
Shannon
Very lovely! I really like the top-stiching.
ReplyDeleteAshley~of Bowery Hollow
You have such a gift for sewing, you really did a beautiful job. :)
ReplyDeleteShannon, your new blouse is beautiful! Just the style I like. Simple, classic, feminine. If only I had the gumption you have! :)
ReplyDelete