Thursday, August 18, 2011

Déjà Vu


You know the feeling.

Well, this skirt has some definite Déjà vu vibes. It started here almost three years ago. I've now discovered that that particular skirt style is totally impractical for a mom in a windy vicinity -- it's definitely a two-hander in gusty neighborhoods (like parking lots), and I usually have a baby carrier in one hand and a diaper bag in the other (especially in parking lots).

I decided to try remaking the skirt into my favorite A-line style (OOP Butterick 3262), and it worked!




Cutting the yoke off significantly shortened it, though, so I added on a ruffle with the scraps I still had (yes, still had after three years. I have problems). Not wanting anything too complicated, I cut my ruffle on a semi-bias (not enough fabric for a true bias!), ran a line of gathering stitches, and zig-zagged it right on top of the skirt. The off-grain cut keeps it from fraying too much, while giving it a bit of casual flair.




Sometimes Déjà vu can be frustrating. But not this time.


3 comments:

  1. The skirt is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a skirt with essentially the same lovely fabric (paisley in deep blues),and so it is worth the time to remake it. I am especially intrigued at how you can visualize so much and then incorporate the know-how to accomplish it. I always learn something here :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny Stallings9/06/2011 5:39 AM

    Shannon, I just bought a pumpkin spice colored courdoroy jacket and would love to make the same alterations that you did to your jacket recently. Would you please give me some more details about how you shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length and how you made the fabric flower. You said there were several fabric flower tutorials that you combined. My email is Jen9874@msn.com. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!