Otherwise known as an apron.
I've made plenty of aprons in my time, but none of my previous designs were really whetting my appetite.
And then I saw the Tea-And-Crumpets Apron from Anthropologie!
I started on my own slightly modified version the very same day, and here's the result:
The skirt fabric was a nightmare. It frayed like crazy, and was also very slippery (the backside is quite shiny). But it was free to me, and it really is a lovely color.
A big sash in the back was a must! And I carried the white ruffle all the way up the sides of the skirt.
I couldn't resist some contrast piping in a lovely brown corduroy I had lying about. I was afraid it might look a bit odd, since there's no other brown on the apron, but I'm quite pleased with the look.
Ruching the strips for the bib was quite tedious, as the fabric is a thick brushed twill. But I wanted something sturdy, and it did the trick.
I couldn't resist a little floral detail, though my flower is rather less rambunctious than the Anthro version!
This apron was really quite simple, and I think it will be nice to have something fabulous to wear over my clothes! Now let's see if I'll actually wear it; I don't have the best track record in that department...