Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Beach Glass and Linen (or, "The Izzy Strikes Again")

I warned you that there would be more Izzies in the future. It's just too good a pattern to not make multiples of. I've made it in knit and in linen, and I opted for linen once again -- with a little embellishment.




It recently came to my attention that acrylic paint can be easily turned into fabric paint by mixing it with a specially designed medium -- it's more cost effective than normal fabric paint, and offers more color options. I found the medium on the same rack as the acrylic paint at my local craft store. I simply had to try it for myself! This navy linen (formerly a skirt) was burning a hole in my stash, so it was the lucky candidate for my experiments.




Oh, I also decided to alter the bodice on this iteration, opting for a cross-over neckline. It was a relatively easy change, and made the bodice lining a little easier to stitch together. 




The paint colors I used were "Beach Glass" and "Gold" by Martha Stewart. I could have used a cheaper brand, but I decided to indulge my long-time secret longing for Martha Stewart paint. Besides, with coupons the price difference was mere pennies. And how could I resist a paint called "Beach Glass?"

After cutting out the pieces, I laid them out on some butcher paper and went to work with my sponge brush and paint. Incidentally, some of the paint bled through to the paper and dried in a permanent fashion. I peeled most of the paper off, but there are still a few patches stuck to the back of the fabric, even after a few washings!  

Little Man was quite distressed to see me intentionally painting the fabric, after my frequent admonitions to him the previous day to stay away from our freshly painted walls. I tried to explain to him that this paint was supposed to be on the fabric, but I doubt that I succeeded in convincing him.




A little turquoise button sufficed for the back of the dress -- one of those "I doubt I'll ever actually use this" buttons that I had stowed in my stash. I'm delighted that the gold turned out so metallic; it was more than I was hoping for. The freelance nature of the painting had me quite nervous, but I'm quite pleased with how the designed turned out -- and also pleased that I did not opt for a symmetrical polka dot pattern.


Sadly, the metallic gold doesn't quite come through in photos.


I made it up in the 2T, same as my other linen Izzy, but since this version is dress-length, it came out looking a little baggy. I've briefly considered shortening it and pairing it with leggings, but since I like it so much as a dress, I'll leave it as is. Besides, there are many months to go before Fall comes, and Rosa will be doing some growing before then. Maybe she can even wear it next summer, too?




It was the perfect little dress to wear for a little outing to the beach -- it has such a seaside feel, from the breezy fabric to the name of the paint color. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity expand my creative palette (no pun intended) in addition to my usual needlecraft. 


10 comments:

  1. Cute dress and cuter kiddos! I love those random dots. Looks like a boutique item!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,

      Why thank you! :-) I am so relieved that the painting turned out okay; there were several times when I thought I must be nuts to try it on a project where I had NO backup fabric!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I love the crossover front! I may have to try that sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! It was an easy alteration, and I like the result.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. The dress is so cute. And I enjoyed hearing your little guy's perspective on your painting the fabric!! I can only imagine.... My little guy and I have similar conversations...I find that understanding appropriate context can be hard to grasp as a young age ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah,

      Thanks! And yes, apparently context can be difficult to understand when you're a toddler. :-) We had multiple conversations even after I was done painting (and had explained at length that it was okay). "Did you get paint on that fabric?"

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. I think this one is my favorite so far! :-) I love that little button tab detail in the back- so simple, but really adds interest.

    Good job at successfully being "random"! It looks great! I always struggle with micro-managing my attempts at not being entirely mathematically exact. ;-)

    And isn't it funny how suggestible we are to color names? But it's so true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily,

      Thank you! Ironically, it took me a little while to warm up to it -- I think because the micro-managing tendency you mentioned left me unsure of whether or not I really liked it. :-) I'm a huge fan of that button tab, too. It's so much easier than a placket, and it's also a fantastic detail (thank you for being so creative, Teri! :-).

      I'm definitely suggestible. I don't know that I'd pick a color *just* because I liked the name -- but you never know!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  5. Blue linen. Random painted dots. Cutesy front and back details. Yup, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!