Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dot to Dot (Or, "Yet Another Izzy")

This is, by my count, my sixth incarnation of the fabulous Izzy pattern (you can see the others here)! If you've been here even a short time, you've probably already noticed my fascination obsession with this pattern. This is a fever that not even more cowbell can cure! But that's okay. This is one addiction I'm more than happy to feed. 

I made up a 3T for my 2 1/2 year old, and it's great now with room to grow. Hopefully this Izzy will have a long life as a dress and then as a tunic!





I paired grey polka-dot cotton with a remnant of linen in "Meadow" that I'd purchased for next-to-nothing some time ago. I love the color combination (though it's super difficult to get the colors right on a computer monitor!).
This time I notched the collar for a little detail -- I also lined the bodice with the cotton, and I like the look of it peeking out when it's on the hanger! 




Pockets, too -- just because. They were simple to draft, and help bring the whole thing together.





I added a band of linen to the bottom (double the desired width + seam allowance, folded in half and stitched right-side-together to the skirt). Though I did end up shortening the dress by several inches after taking these photos; despite my efforts, it ended up far too long for Rosa! 




A vintage mother-of-pearl button secures the back.




This was my first sewing project since arriving in Virginia -- I cut it out before bed and stitched it the next day. Just in time for a trip to IKEA the day after! It was a long trek, but well worth it -- oh Poang, how we love your comfortable curves! *wink*

It's been a flurry of activity here, but I hope to post a bit more regularly soon. Right now we're in the aftermath of a washer that flooded our utility room and part of the kitchen, so we'd appreciate prayers for a swift (and relatively inexpensive) resolution to that problem. In the meantime, I hope you're enjoying Spring wherever-you-are as much as we are!



5 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    I just love the little pockets you added this time! The colors you chose look terrific together too.

    You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers lately. I have wondered how you were doing as you settle into your new home. I am praying that all goes well with your washer!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Thank you for your kind words! I was pleased with that color combination, too -- I bought the fabrics at very different times, and I love it when everything works together! :-)

      Also, many thanks for your prayers! It's been a whirlwind, but it's feeling like *home* now. Sadly, we'll have to pay out of pocket for some of the washer damage, but it's much better than it could be. :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Did you angle the bottom of the dress as my granddaughter wants me to make it nearly to the floor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urbanlady,

      I didn't angle the bottom side seams -- but if I were making one nearly to the floor, that might be a good idea! The original pattern is meant to be a top/tunic, so it's not super roomy.

      Hope that helps!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!