Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Go-To

I love having go-to's. No fuss, no muss, no question. Little by little, I add to my collection of recipe go-to's -- the best have simple ingredients and simple steps. This is one that's been a standby for years now! 

The olive wood rolling pin was a gift from my husband, straight from Greece --
I love the amazing grain!
.
Because who doesn't need a go-to recipe for scones? A never-fail, always delicious, always gone too soon recipe. It's superb plain, but it's also the perfect canvas for mix-ins (craisins, dried oranges, walnuts, pecans, chocolate...). These are cranberry-walnut. Or were, rather. They didn't last very long...





This recipe came from the sensibility.com message forums -- from none other than the marvelous Suzi Clarke!

Suzi’s Scones


Ingredients:
  • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (Sometimes I use whole wheat pastry flour, but they're fluffiest with all purpose)
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 3 TBSP sugar 
  • 1 ½ oz./3 TBSP butter 
  • 1/3-1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk, or milk curdled with lemon juice. 

Directions:
  1. Whisk the dry ingredients together. 
  2. Cut the butter in until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
  3. Stir in the milk, very gradually, to make a firm, pliable dough. Don't let it get too sticky.
  4. Roll out in a circle on a floured board to about 1/2" thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Put in a hot oven, 400-425 degrees, for about 10 minutes.

Hope one of my favorite go-to's may end up being one of yours, too!

8 comments:

  1. They look delicious. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy, Diane! They're really quite simple (and inexpensive, too!).

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Wow, those look delish :D I've only had scones once before, a long time ago; maybe I need to make these!

    In our house we have a go-to biscuit recipe that we've used for years; my great-aunt gave it to us. Of course hers were better, but she couldn't recreate what she did exactly, because I don't think she actually measured anything. Just a pinch of this and a handful of that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Elizabeth,

      Scones are definitely worth a second try! It amazes me how expensive they can be at pastry shops -- doesn't make much sense!

      Ah, a go-to biscuit recipe is a keeper! How lovely that your great-aunt shared her recipe, as closely as she could estimate! :-) I can do that with things like soups, but I'm not much good at estimating with baking...

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. They do look good. I have not eaten a sconce in many years. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danice,

      Perhaps it's time to end your scone fast? ;-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Shannon,
    Years ago, I made scones, and they turned out dry and crumbly. I tried this recipe yesterday, and they turned out PERFECT! They were light and fluffy and absolutely delicious. I made them exactly per the recipe, but next time I may add some mix-ins. My kids gobbled them up! Thanks for a great go-to scone recipe! Blessings, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      I am SO glad to hear that they turned out so well! I've yet to have a batch "fail" (even when I leave them in the oven a bit too long -- not that I've ever done that! ;-). Have fun with the mix-ins! I always enjoy figuring out delicious combinations!

      Thanks for stopping by, and for sharing your scone success! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!