We toyed with the idea of matching (or at least very coordinated) stockings, but when I saw a Nutcracker ballet slipper stocking I had to make it for Rosa -- she absolutely loves the Nutcracker ballet! But what about the boys -- should each child have an individualized stocking? What about future children? Should choosing stockings really be this difficult? Definitely "no" to that last one! I finally found this Knight Stocking, the only one of its kind I've been able to locate on the interwebs. Perfect for Little Man -- and by changing a few details, I could make one for Laddie, too. If more girls or boys come our way, I'll reuse the slipper and knight patterns and change the details to personalize them. Different shoe colors for girls, different shield colors for boys. Still matchy, but unique.
Design was not too difficult -- I didn't even bother printing off the ballet slipper pattern, because I knew I didn't want the toe that "pointy," and as soon as I see the words "enlarge the pattern" my eyes glaze over. The knight stocking didn't have a pattern at all, since it's a ready-made stocking, so I was on my own for that. I made the patterns roughly the same size and shape, added seam allowance, and went fabric shopping. Which was a bit of a kafuffle, because JoAnn didn't have the fabrics or trim I'd hoped for, and I had to wing it. As it was, I still wasn't sure exactly how the knight stockings would materialize! The ballet slipper was more straightforward, and I even managed to snag some beaded trim that was sure to delight Rosa.
Construction was pretty straightforward. Cut out the pieces, bond the exterior pieces to heavyweight fusible interfacing, decorate, and then sew together. I came across a picture from this Easy DIY stocking tutorial as I was looking for design inspiration, and liked the construction method (though I didn't end up turning the edge over to make a cuff). I slowed up a bit with the boys', because I still didn't have a concrete idea of the design. But it came together, little by little! I'd purchased about four yards of tiny silver cord trim that was on clearance for 25 cents per yard, because I was so desperate to find something -- it turned out to be exactly what I needed for the bottom of each "boot." I used a narrow zig-zag to stitch it down in a diamond pattern, and I love the result. And only 16" to spare. Phew!
My efforts were rewarded by their excitement over the finished stockings, though! Now, just to fill them...