Wednesday, August 07, 2019

August Yarn Along: Rhythms

The past few weeks have been all about finding some sort of rhythm in the chaos of life just now. It's been a turbulent summer, to say the least. My husband's schedule has been "predictably" unpredictable, including weeks of crazy late-night flights followed by travel. We had our summer break from school, and my plans to keep up some semblance of order came to naught (though I suspect doing "nothing" was what we needed, and we had a shorter than usual break, anyway). Now we are in our second week of homeschooling for the year, and I'm enjoying the more predictable cadence to the day, even if it means decreased "freedom."

I'm currently reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. This was a book my husband just finished and really wanted me to read. It's a bit disturbing by nature of what it discusses (violence), but it's also very enlightening. A snippet from the description sums it up nicely: "True fear is a gift. Unwarranted fear is a curse. Learn how to tell the difference." 

I'm also reading The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge, but I'm not very far into it yet. To be quite honest, I've been knitting more than reading this month! And both of my current books are on my tablet; I rather miss having a "real" book in my hands. I still have my Beatrix Potter book underway, but I don't think I've read any of it this month...  




I finished up my Ninni cardigan (which I have dubbed "Goldilocks"), and cast on a pair of Rye light socks for Rosa. I love this pattern so far (it really is excellent for teaching you how to make socks, and I rather wish I'd started my sock-making adventures with this!), and these are whipping up very quickly. The heel flaps are done -- why am I always terrible about keeping track of my heel flap rows? -- and it's time for short rows! I love that there's a bit of texture on the front of the sock, but it's still a very easy pattern to follow. I wasn't in the mood for anything too complicated.




My new stitch markers are shameless knock-offs of Pleximama's lovely markers (going back to that post, I realized she was working on a pair of broken seed stitch socks, which I'm also planning to start when these socks are done -- apparently I'm just a copycat!). I love my purple locking stitch markers from KnitPicks, but I couldn't get the thought of little toadstool markers out of my mind. I found the beads on Etsy, and turned them into markers with my limited jewelry supplies as soon as they arrived in the mail. And, of course, they needed a little coordinating pouch -- fortunately, they fit into the pouches I'd previously made for my stitch markers and point protectors, so I whipped up another in red leather:




And now I have a little set of three in my knitting bag!





Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along:




6 comments:

  1. Haha! I was just thinking how much I loved your stitch markers when I read my name :) Most of my ideas come from others, so no worries! I need to make a pouch, too ;) I'm filing away the rye light sock pattern for future making. The garter stitch panel is lovely.

    I hear you about summer. I think it's going to be a restful, blissfully empty time, but the lack of structure is tough on littles who can't always come up with self-directed activities. I'm looking forward to starting up school again in a couple of weeks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :-) I think one thing I've enjoyed so much about joining the knitting community is how "sharing" it is -- I've not had much one-on-one with other knitters, but one day I'd like to find a group at a local shop (or something). Maybe when my littles are not-so-little... Well, I'm loving Rye light so far (and it's even free), and I hope you do, too!

      Yes, perhaps Summer is a bit too expectation-laden! Ours definitely had its lovely moments, but life doesn't stop being complex just because school is out. :-) I hope you are able to enjoy the last weeks of summer break, as well as the return of more structure in the fall!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Shannon,

    Your socks look beautiful! I have that pattern printed and filed in my knitting binder. I hope to make a pair someday. I love the color of the yarn you have chosen.

    I will look forward to seeing your completed sweater too! You have certainly been busy knitting this summer. I haven't done much knitting this summer, but have worked on some doily crocheting recently.

    Your stitch markers are adorable, as are the little pouches you made! I am always inspired by your creativity.

    I read "Pilgrim's Inn" by Elizabeth Goudge a few years ago. Since then I have picked up a couple of her other books at book sales. I will have to read one soon. "Pilgrim's Inn" was a lovely story.

    May you have a blessed day!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Well, these have been my easiest pair of socks so far -- the pattern is really well written, and I think I'm becoming more familiar/comfortable with the process. The yarn is some of the first I ever bought, and I made my first cardigan with it! I suppose I have been on a bit of a knitting spree this summer -- mostly because my husband has been gone a lot for work. My sewing and reading have suffered, though. :-)

      I've seen "Pilgrim's Inn," and might give that a go when I've finished "The Scent of Water." I picked up the latter today for the first time in a few weeks, and I'm getting much more into the story now. I'm curious to see where it will go.

      Thank you, as always, for your kind words!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. The Scent of Water by Elizbeth Goudge is one of my most favourite books, I hope it is a blessing to you! I really should re-read that one again! But perhaps, first, her book Rosemary Tree. You are making lovely things and that pouch is super cute! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elizabeth,

      I'm glad to hear you liked "The Scent of Water" so much! I'm still not very far into it, but I'm enjoyed it more and more as I read. Thank you for your kind words!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!