Saturday, August 01, 2020

Regency Reveries

When I first spotted the Fairfax reticule by Anne Gilmour, I knew I wanted to make one -- after all, it combines my love of Jane Austen and Regency fashion in one tidy little package (quite literally!). I snagged three skeins of Bremont Victoria in "mauve" for a fraction of the usual cost back in September and tucked them away. I though it would make the perfect gift for my kindred-spirit-of-a-sister.




It's a good thing I bought three skeins, because my yarn was so light that I had to hold it double! I ended up with very little left over, which suits me just fine. The alpaca/silk blend was lovely to work with, and I do love a good lace pattern (though a sneaky stitch marker shift half-way through did result in quite a bit of frogging on the second reticule -- you'd think I'd make fewer mistakes the second time around...).




The drawstrings were quite an adventure (each one has to be twisted 300 times, and I had four of them!), and I looked for several alternatives before just giving in and following the instructions.  




The lining also proved a bit of a challenge, probably due to variations in gauge and blocking. I ended up coming up with my own design to make it work -- basically a circle with four "darts." The lining is dupioni silk (which I've had in my stash for about a decade!).




I finished these up just in time to send one to my sister for her birthday! I have so many fond "Jane Austen" memories with her, from reading novels to watching movies to visiting Jane's home and haunts -- excuse my while I reminisce...


Jane's garden at Chawton, 2007


Lyme Regis, 2007


PS -- I realized I have a bit of a backlog of knitting projects to post, so expect a few more posts in the near future.




2 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    Your reticule is lovely! The lace pattern and mauve yarn are a stunning combination. I so enjoyed seeing the pictures of you and your sister. I began following your blog way back before you were marries and remember your posts about visiting England. Your Regency sewing was always so beautiful!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Sarah! The yarn was quite a departure from what the pattern called for, so I was pleased that it suited the pattern well.

      I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for my Regency dresses -- I haven't made one in over a decade, I think. Perhaps Rosa will inherit my love for Jane Austen and sewing, and we can create some together! It's hard to believe it's been over a decade since we were in England last.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!