Thursday, September 10, 2020

Timeless

Shortly after we moved out West, we stopped at a local Salvation Army for a browse. On a shelf cluttered with knick-knacks, I found a battered frame. Beneath the scratched plexiglass was a page from a 16th century Geneva Bible. The Geneva Bible holds a special place in my heart (and in history!), and I was smitten at once. I resisted the impulse to buy it then and there -- but as time passed, I still thought about that page. My patience was rewarded; by the time I returned, it was still waiting for me and was marked down 20%. 


Taking pictures of glass is hard! *wink*


The frame was a disaster and even the matting was faded, but that could be remedied. I procrastinated in my usual fashion, but I finally found a frame that suited and had a mat made at a local frame shop. 

Of all the pages it could have been, the passage on this page was Psalm 118 and the beginning of Psalm 119. The former has been such a comfort to me over the past two years (especially verse 14), and Psalm 119 -- well, it's in a league of its own!




I've flanked the page with two images -- both cut from the companion booklet that came with my Reformation Study Bible. On the right is Westminster Abbey, and on the left is a map of Geneva.




My little "Reformation" collection now graces a formerly-barren wall in our living room (our home here has so many blank, white walls!), and I see it regularly throughout the day -- a reminder of God's timeless, steadfast love and His providential care of His church through history. 


 

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasured find! May GOD's words always bring you comfort and strength.
    Blessings for your days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carie! It certainly helps to keep it in plain view -- I need to put more Scripture up around the house.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Shannon,

    That is definitely a special find! It is even more beautiful to know that the page is a section of scripture that means a lot to you. God is so good!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      I do wonder how that page ended up at a thrift store I just "happened" to visit (and really haven't been back to since). God is certainly good!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!