Saturday, December 29, 2007

Handcrafted Christmas: Gingham Hearts for the Kitchen


My sister and I joined forces this Christmas in making gifts for our mom. She tackled a set of placemats and napkins, while I worked on an apron, an oven mitt, and two pot holders. An apron seemed an obvious choice, since my mom has a penchant for getting dinner on her clothes while cooking! And our current oven mitt and pot holders were in such a sad state of disrepair that they certainly needed replacing.

The fabric was a gingham cotton that mom had purchased several years ago and stashed for a rainy day. Here is my contribution:




For the apron, I used Simplicity 4282. I must say, I am quite fed up with this pattern. Part of this was my fault, since I used a fairly lightweight fabric. Even so, I think I will risk designing an apron myself next time I want one!

Not having a pattern for an oven mitt, I simply devised my own by tracing our oven mitt and revising it. The pot holders were squares, which were simple. I used double layers of cotton batting for extra heat resistance.





And even with these projects, we still have about five yards of fabric left. Hmm...

3 comments:

  1. This is Mackenzie from the S&S board...I just wanted to say how much I *love* those pot holders/oven mit! We're getting ready to move, so I'm waiting to replace to ones that we got for our wedding 2.5 years ago until I know what color I'll paint that kitchen...but after seeing these, I think I might go with something I can use that green quilted fabric I have in my stash...those are just to cute! :) Was the pre-quilted fabric used in addition to cotton batting, or did you quilt them yourself? You can U2U me at S&S if that's easiest!
    Thanks and blessings,
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilly,

    I quilted the fabric myself. Actually, I took pictures of the process and I hope to do a tutorial soon -- probably some time later this week. I'll U2U you when I do, in case you'd like to see.

    Pre-quilted material would be much easier! :-)

    Yours in Christ,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!