Monday, March 03, 2014

This Little Izzy Went to Market

I'm always on the lookout for free children's patterns -- I'm so grateful that other seamstresses are willing to share their designs! When I saw the Izzy Top pattern by Teri at climbing the willow, I immediately downloaded the pattern (I've learned the hard way that free patterns don't always stay free forever!) and looked for an excuse to make it.




It didn't take me long! I came across a blue linen blend dress I'd picked up at the thrift store, and realized it would be perfect for this project. The fabric is unique -- it doesn't look like a traditional linen, but it's not quite denim and not quite chambray. Whatever it is, I like it! It has a marvelous texture and depth. I had a leftover tie from the original dress, which I tied in a bow and attached to the front. Just a little bit of girly flair to dress things up.





I love, love, love the unique bodice of the Izzy top. The little cap sleeves, the button tab in the back, the curved empire waist, the simple and classic style -- I love it all. The bodice is fully lined, which is great. The pattern is simple, but I found it well designed. Not knowing the sizing, I made it up in a 2T to ensure that it wouldn't be too small. It's quite roomy on my 16-month-old, so she should be able to wear it through Spring, Summer, and Fall (and possibly even next spring?). I can't remember if I lengthened the skirt, but it's perfect for Rosa to wear with some leggings underneath.




The little button in the back is one of my favorite details! I found a simple, natural wood button in my stash, which matches the style perfectly. I'm trying to reduce the number of "just in case" items in my home -- but buttons are an exception! You just never know when you'll need that button. Good thing they take up so little space.




I've already made another top with this pattern, in quite a different style. I'll be sharing photos soon!


7 comments:

  1. Adorable dress and the button goes so well with it! It's so nice knowing that you have kept your buttons, too. In my de-cluttering phase I have come so close to getting rid of mine, but then can't bring myself to do it. ;) And if you've notice, the good quality ones seem to have gone up in price at stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri,

    Thanks! Aha, another button "hoarder!" :-) I haven't actually priced buttons at the store recently, but I can recall many a gulp when multiplying the cost of a button card by how many buttons I'd need! Yes, I'm quite satisfied to keep a generous stash at home! :-)

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable top! And I have to confess to being a button hoarder as well :) My grandma sometimes sends me buttons from the 1940s & 1950s and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri,

      Thanks! What a pleasure to have you stop by, and thank you SO much for designing this pattern (and offering it for free)! :-)

      Ooh, buttons from the 40s and 50s are the best -- some are so classic, and others are just plain outlandish! Sometimes I think I'll never have a use for a certain button, and then *that* project comes along...

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. LOVE the *plainness* of this dress! And I really don't mean that in a bad way. It's so beautiful without anything else, and linen is so soft and pretty looking. It seems to drape so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janel,

      Thanks! And I know exactly what you mean -- I love the "plainness," too! Sometimes it's fun to embellish and befrill, but I love that this pattern lends itself to simplicity.

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing the link! The dress for your daughter is so beautiful, and I still can't believe that's your first sewing project! Hopefully the first of many. :-)

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!