Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Wee Stitches for the Wee One

I think I started sewing little newborn clothes within a week or two of finding out we were expecting again. Perhaps because I had so much pent-up nesting instinct that had been disappointed the last time? At any rate, I quickly fished out some knits from the stash and got to work.

Gender neutral was my goal, as we obviously didn't know then (and still don't know) what the baby's gender is. I've also been inspired by many of the European fashions I've seen lately, which tend to be more neutral (so practical if you have multiple children!). However, I think my gender neutral tends to be a little masculine, so this little jacket may be boy-only:




I used the Little Kimono Set tutorial, reducing the size for a (hopefully) newborn fit. I really like the pattern, and anticipate turning to it again in the future! I opted for buttons instead of ties, which sound fidgety and troublesome on a newborn outfit. The fabric is heathered knit from a thrifted men's Orvis shirt. It's thick and soft and luxurious. 




I also whipped up a pair of Tiny Harem Pants in a denim-like knit (thrifted women's skirt), which should be cozy for little legs. Again, the blue may be a bit masculine, but I think I could pair this with something feminine if we have a girl.




I had some small scraps of white cotton spandex, which needed just a little embellishment. After cutting out my pieces I set to work with a tiny star stencil and metallic gold paint mixed with fabric paint medium. The result is far from perfect, but I don't mind a bit of "character."




The pattern is Jalie 3133, which is a fantastic bodysuit pattern with lots of options. I modified the bottom closure a bit to suit my preference, and used my snap press to attach three white snaps. So simple, and very sturdy!




It's been so gratifying to do something for the little baby we are so eager to meet. I have all sorts of knitting ideas in my head, but I know I should wait until we know the gender (or everything will end up being tan and grey). With Little Man I followed the advice I heard to not buy newborn clothes, because they last such a short time. The result was that he was swimming in all of his 0-3 months garments, and I had to go out a buy a few items to get us through the first few weeks. No more! My babies have averaged just over seven pounds so far, so I'm going to indulge my love of tiny garments a bit and have a good stock for the coming little one.

Or maybe I just want another excuse to sew?

It could be that.


8 comments:

  1. So adorable! I love the buttonholes on the little jacket, you did a beautiful job.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! The jacket was such a fun little project, and very easy to whip up. I was glad to find just the right buttons in my stash, too! Nine times out of ten it seems like I already have what I need. :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. What cute outfits. I love how you used the thrifted Orvis shirt. As always, you are so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danice! Lord willing, they'll be coming in handy in five or six months. :-) I still have a lot of the Orvis shirt left (it was large!), so I'm hoping to making something else. Hmm, maybe a pair of matching pants?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Minnesotan Gal9/10/2014 12:38 PM

    The jacket is SOO cute!!! It's just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minnesotan Gal! :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. These are all so sweet, Shannon. I'm happy to see you sewing for your new babe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! We'd thought of waiting to find out the gender with our last baby, but this time (Lord willing) we're definitely planning to find out. Which is good, because there is only so much gender neutral sewing I can do! :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!