Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Trip Down Memory Lane

A trip to Colonial Williamsburg was virtually inevitable -- it's a longish drive, but much too close to resist! I've been singing its praises to Pablo ever since we got married, so visiting with him was such a treat. To my delight, he approved. But then again, what's not to love?  




Williamsburg feels like such a part of my life -- I've visited there several times since I was little, though my most recent trip was almost nine years ago. Little has changed, though. The same fragrance still wafts out of the shops on Duke of Gloucester Street, probably my favorite fragrance. Something like a mix of soap, beeswax, leather, and spices. 





We only had a few hours on this visit, and since Pablo's brother was visiting from out state we tried to hit up some of the highlights. But now that we have annual passes, more visits will be forthcoming!





The fifes and drums were a big hit with our little ones (well, Laddie was indifferent. But then again, he slept most of the time!).





The gardens, as always, were perfectly lovely -- despite the sweltering temperatures!









An afternoon of sight-seeing was a bit tiring for the smaller members of our group, but it was such a treat to see them experience Williamsburg for the first time. So many things to see! Horses, cannons, carriages, streams, and even the Marquis de Lafayette (who gave a most rousing speech).




 Pablo remarked that Colonial Williamsburg strikes the perfect balance of visitor involvement -- you can enjoy the town on your own, or you can find various tours and activities to participate in. It's engaging without being overwhelming. And really, Colonial Williamsburg has it down pat; they know what they're doing, and they're very good at it.








Bruton Parish Church is a favorite of mine -- my family attended Christmas eve service there once, so again, more memories.





I bypassed the milliner's shop on this visit, since we had limited time (and I was outnumbered by males!), but I couldn't pass a snapshot of this seamstress at the window:




 There's still so much to explore there: museums, trade shops, gardens. I haven't lived this close to Williamsburg since my infancy (at which point I was understandably oblivious to its charms), and goodness me, do I plan to take advantage of it! Though perhaps we'll wait until the weather cools...


12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures of your trip! My family visited Williamsburg when I was 10, and it was an experience I will never forget. It is such a charming place, and I can still remember the smell of the shops too. : ) Love the picture of your lovely little girl looking out the window! It is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we visited once when I was around 10 -- that must be the right age for making memories. :-) So glad you enjoyed the pictures!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. That's so fun! I would love to visit one day. Growing up in MA we lived close enough to visit Plymouth Plantation and we also enjoyed Sturbridge Village, a representation of a town from the early 1800s with traditional buildings and compete with actors. I think it's a little smaller than Williamsburg, but it's such a neat experience to "go back in time" and I have similar childhood memories. It's so neat you can share the experience with your kids and husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Plymouth Plantation when I was about 6! It was such fun! :-) Sturbridge Village sounds wonderful -- maybe we can make our way up north one of these days... or years....

      Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Looks absolutely lovely! I have always wanted to visit here... but now that I've seen your delightful pictures, I really want to go! :) It's so awesome to feel like you've been taken back in history. :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      It's well worth it! The "reenactors" are wonderful, and most are quite knowledgeable. There are so many little scenic nooks and crannies, too -- I'm already wanting to go back! :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. I was there with my family this summer, but there wasn't a chance on earth that I was going to miss the Milliner's shop! I handed my kids off to grandma and went and chatted with the ladies sewing for a while :) And the speeches have to be my favorite part - I particularly enjoyed listening to James Madison and young Thomas Jefferson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri,

      I was dying to go in to the milliner's shop! I'm definitely hitting it up next time we go. :-) Sounds like you had a lovely visit!

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete
  5. *sigh*

    These pictures! Williamsburg has always been a favorite place of mine; now that some of my favorite people are so very close, it only seems right that I visit again -- and soon!

    Off to keep working on those parents.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ENTIRELY agree that it's high time you visited again! For purely disinterested reasons, of course... ;-) Perhaps I should start working on those parents, too!

      Love,
      Shannon

      Delete
  6. How delightful! I've only ever visited Williamsburg very briefly, nearly 10 years ago, but I would love to go back for a more leisurely visit one of these days. What a blessing to live so close! It looks like you had such a fun visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      I hope you do get a chance to visit again! Preferably while we still live in the area, so we might actually meet in person. :-)

      Blessings,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!