Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Merryweather, Muted

When I made my "Merry and Bright" dress from Birch Organic's Merryweather fabric line, I also purchased the same print in the slate colorway. I wasn't kidding when I declared my love for that fabric!




I wasn't sure what pattern to use for this fabric -- I could make the same exact dress (Butterick 5242), but didn't want to be too redundant. I had seen out-of-print Simplicity 2369, and based on the rave reviews it got, I ordered an inexpensive copy from Ebay. 




In the end... I wish I had used a different pattern! While I was able to make this dress work, I wasn't entirely pleased with how it turned out. I had to make a number of changes -- taking in the top sleeve seams, changing both the height of the ties and which side one of the ties was on (mine ties in the back now), altering the bottom hem of the "wrap" bodice, adjusting the center back seam, and some other more minor tweaks. 

When I finished my other Merryweather dress, I was incredibly happy with the outcome. When I finished this dress, I felt much less enthusiastic (but very relieved to be done!). It may have been partly due to my fabric, which is perhaps a bit heavier than it should be for this pattern. It may have been partly due to the fabric print, which is admittedly busy and hides some of the pattern's details. I honestly think this pattern would work better on someone with a more hourglass figure -- a larger bust and smaller waist would definitely help.




Focusing on the positive, I did end up with a comfortable, wearable dress in a fabric that I love. I can even use the same "Mineral" colored demi cami that I made for my other Merryweather dress, which is one of the perks of using fabrics in the same family. And this dress does fit my requirements of being postpartum/nursing friendly, which will be useful after our fifth baby is born -- though the rather unforgiving fit means I'll probably need to wait a while until my "mummy tummy" has gone down before I wear it! Or maybe just until my vanity has gone down... *cough*


These pictures were obviously taken a while ago,
before my current pregnancy started "showing"

Not every project is destined to be a favorite, but I think by the time I pull this out next summer/fall (I've already had to put it away for this pregnancy -- again, unforgiving fit!) I'll be quite content with it. And there's nothing like a chubby photo bomber to make your day better...


My hair is Scout's "security blanket," as you can see in this photo!
He almost always has a grip on my hair.


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely dress! The fabric looks soft and nice. Also, what is it with babies and hair? I think i loose a few hairs every night, thanks to my darling 18 month old boy...
    Congrats on the new baby! I was going ti post on the original post but the days went by and now... better late than never! Im glad you are feeling better this way round. Caring for 4 kids is no small task and doing it while feeling poorly sounds like hell.
    And your move! When you said you were going west i immediatrly thought of Hawaii, i have no idea why. I hope you talk a bit about your new destination so that we blog readers can “travel”, too �� im sure wherever you go, you will make the most out of it, as you always do.
    Kind regards
    Elena

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!