Thursday, November 08, 2018

November Yarn Along: Fast and Slow

Somehow, October is already over. Between a downed desktop computer, a much-anticipated visit from dear family, and as many outdoor adventures as we can fit in before winter arrives, the month has slipped away. 

But I was knitting! I cast on a Master Charles sweater early in October, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm knitting it up in a size four for Laddie (who really doesn't need another sweater this year, but I've had plans for this since last year), and it's lovely to make something in a smallish size. It knits up so quickly! The basketweave cables in the center front are such a beautiful feature, and so far the only real change I've made has been to omit the back details -- I don't think the sweater needs it. I love the tweedy yarn and the color. A perfect fall knit.



I love it when I have the perfect bookmark -- I got this one through Zazzle, and had it printed with my own design
(though obviously not my own words!)


I just have a few more rows of the second sleeve and the sleeve cap to finish, and then I can sew in the sleeves and block it! Of course, as soon as I finish I'll be casting on the same sweater in size 2 for Scout (matching sweaters!) -- but that will presumably knit up even faster, since it's smaller? I think I have enough momentum to get a second sweater done. Though this pattern requires more yarn joining (with weaving it to follow) than any pattern I've yet encountered.

I had to smile when I opened up Ginny's Yarn Along post for November -- I'm also reading The Fellowship of the Ring. It's been years since I read The Lord of the Rings, though I read it often as a teenager. I found beautiful editions of the books at Barnes and Noble for $21 (for all three!), but have never read them. While my sweater may be knitting up fast, this book is reading slow. Intentionally. I used to devour books as quickly as possible, partly because I had the time before marriage and children became part of my life! While I still go through reading spurts occasionally, I find myself savoring books more than I used to. I expect it to take quite a bit of time to get through The Lord of the Rings, and I'm quite content with that. I'm reading other books alongside, quicker reads (libraries have due dates!), but this is my comfort read. I always forget how much I love Tolkien's writing when I'm not actually reading it.





Fast and slow. Perhaps that's balance? In any case, both my knitting and Tolkien's words bring calm to my often flurried mind, and that's welcome, indeed. The close of the year is approaching, and next year will bring some significant changes for our family -- in a good way, but change always brings challenges and adjustment. Right now, I'm holding on to familiar.  



Linking up to Ginny's Yarn Along

4 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    Your sweater looks fabulous! The front panel of cabling is beautiful. I can just imagine how cute your little boys will look in their matching sweaters.

    Your beverage looks great too! : ) Nothing quite like a hot cup of something with a good book or some knitting!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Thank you for your kindness! That cable panel really sold me on this sweater -- it's no more difficult than "normal" cabling, but gives such a lovely effect. And yes, it's always good to have a hot cuppa when reading or knitting; in this case, a coffee with some foamed milk (courtesy of my cheap Ikea milk frother ;-). Though I've also been on quite an English Breakfast run lately, after not drinking it for several years!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. I'm currently rereading Tolkien myself! And taking my time. I just finished Fellowship on Sunday and am in the early chapters of TTT. I'd definitely call it a comfort read, as it's one of my all time favorites. That also sounds like impressively fast knitting to me, but knitting is my slowest craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,

      Haha! We seem to have "coordinating" sewing and reading projects of late. :-) I can't believe I haven't re-read LOTR in so long, but perhaps the lapse is a good thing -- I'm getting so much out of it this time around, and in many ways it's new while still being comfortably familiar.

      I'm a very inconsistent knitter (sometimes fast, sometimes snail-paced), but fortunately this project has been going pretty quickly. I find myself more and more turning to knitting as a way to clear my head -- as long as the pattern isn't too difficult! So perhaps I've just needed a lot of reflection lately? ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!