Friday, April 05, 2019

The Subtly Subliminal Seamstress

I realize the title is a bit redundant, but the alliteration was irresistible. Actually, come to think of it, the title might not be right at all, because there's nothing very "subliminal" about this top! I'm overtly encouraging my daughter to like sewing. *wink*

With warmer temperatures on their way, I've been busy getting Rosa's closet ready. She mainly needed tops, which is fabulous considering how many 1-yard (or less!) remnants I have. And when there's not enough fabric for the bodice and sleeves... well, you find another scrap that coordinates.




The fabric is a Japanese import purchased from Fabricworm (it's Osaihou by Megumi Sakakibara for Kei Japan, in case you're curious!). I love the little seamstresses and other crafty accoutrements.

I followed The Girl Inspired's Tutorial for adding a "sleeveless ruffle" to a peasant top. The tutorial actually goes with a pattern -- but since I already have a free peasant pattern from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom, I didn't want to purchase a peasant dress pattern. I added up my pattern pieces (front + back + 2x sleeve), and calculated the width I wanted; I think it was somewhere around 4 1/2" to account for seam allowance and hemming.





Everything went together beautifully, and this turned out to be a quick and satisfying project. The pocket was a bit of an afterthought, and seemed a good way to tie in the green linen. 




Rosa is asking more and more to help me with sewing, and that brings such joy to my heart. So perhaps I don't need to be sneaky about promoting sewing? At any rate, now she has the proper blouse to practice her sewing skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!