Thursday, August 06, 2020

August Yarn Along: Summertime Hues

I've got two projects on my needles just now -- both are tops for me, and both are in vivid hues. I suppose I was in the mood for colorful projects?

I finally frogged back a bit of my coral Roseroot top, knit some extra rows on the yoke, and have the armholes bound off again. I think I'll still need to cast on a few extra stitches under the arm, but I'm feeling better about the fit. My yarn is a lot lighter than the yarn called for in the pattern (even though they're both fingering weight!), and it's caused a few problems already. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing now!



My second project is a teal Poolside top, in the loveliest silk/alpaca/linen yarn. Perhaps my theme for this month should have been "Unknitting," because I seem to be doing a fair bit! Short rows still trip me up a bit, but I think I've got them figured out and can't wait to see this project take shape. I was excited to realize that this pattern is by Isabell Kraemer, just like the Cowboys and Angels shawl I finished up last week -- that pattern was exceptionally well written, and I have a feeling I'll enjoy this one, too. 

Much of my reading time lately has been health-related (profitable, but not exactly riveting), but I've also been reading Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin. I've never read her books before, but I think I'll be reading more after this. It does seem a trifle ironic to be reading a book about how to read a book -- but so far, it's been well worth it. 

I'd love to hear what you're reading or creating just now!


Linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along.


7 comments:

  1. That Roseroot top yoke is gorgeous. The coral color gives it just the right summery feel.

    Your Poolside top will be a lovely addition to your wardrobe, especially in the yarn you've chosen. Isabell Kraemer offers such well-written patterns! I enjoyed the Fruity Knitting podcast episode in which she was interviewed--hearing about her design process revealed how meticulous she is about choosing test knitters and making her instructions clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I need to get working on the Roseroot, or I won't be able to wear it until Spring! It's a slow knit, though.

      I was so pleased to discover that Poolside (which has been in my favorites for a while) was an Isabell Kraemer pattern, after your glowing recommendation and my good experience with the Cowboys and Angels shawl. I certainly appreciate clear instructions!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Such pretty projects--I love the lace work on the peach one, and that teal is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliana! The peach top is a Norwegian pattern -- I find that I love Norwegian lace patterns, so I'm always happy to find them translated into English!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. I am liking those shades you chose for your knitted tops. And I must be a queen, or something, of unknitting! But I am no longer a member of ravelry, so unfortunately I was unable to see your pattern and the completed top...be sure you share later when you finish knitting them.
    Excellent choice on your reading material by Jen Wilkin, a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,

    Thank you for your kind words! Perhaps plenty of unknitting makes us better knitters in the end? :-) I'll certainly try to share the finished tops here when I'm done!

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there from Australia, my first time visiting your blog and I came here from the "Lilacs and Springtime" blog. I am also reading the book "Women of the Word" and am finding it a thought provoking read.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!