Sunday, January 23, 2022

Pinky Promise

I really didn't have new socks for me in my queue, but a few of my homemade (and storebought) pairs have recently developed holes! While I contemplate whether or not it's worth repairing the homemade pairs -- all of which were early attempts, and made from not-amazing yarns -- I decided to knit up a quick pair of Pinky socks by Trude Hertaas. I figured they'd knit up quickly, and I had the perfect yarn on hand. 



Wow, do I love this pattern! Simple enough to memorize, and very satisfying to knit. They came together as quickly as I'd hoped, too. I haven't knit a heel flap in ages, maybe years? But I thought I'd stick with the pattern this time and save any tinkering for future iterations. I can't say I like heel flaps any more than I used to, but I'm glad I gave it another go.

I'm trying out the tubular cast on for sock tops, but I'm not sure I like the result -- it seems to stretch out too much during wear. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong! 




My only change was to reduce the stitch count from 64 to 56 and use 2.75mm needles -- a bit of a challenge to take stitches out of a lace pattern, but I was able to snag four purl stitches (from either side of the tiny cables) and it came out just fine. 



The colors in this yarn are just gloriously cheerful! It was a gift from my "fairy yarnmother," and didn't come with any identifying tag, but I'd guess it's a wool/synthetic sock blend. I only used half, so I might end up making another pair...

Now I just need to work on a pair of house slippers, so I stop wearing holes in all my favorite socks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!