Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Snuggle-Ready

While I don't need my infant boys to look like 30-something lawyers, I'll admit it's difficult to add rainbows to baby clothes without a girly vibe. But this mama's got to get her rainbows in somewhere! And after a joyful anatomy scan today for little Kit (who was quite cooperative, bless him), it seemed liked the perfect time to share one of those rainbow projects.

I had some butter-soft jersey left over from another project (I think the boys' National Parks pajama shirts?), and thought it would make a cozy newborn gown. Stitched Together's free pattern and tutorial was just the ticket, a blank canvas for a bit of rainbow art.




The rainbow was a simple addition -- a bit of ecru braided cotton clothesline, with the center fibers pulled out (easily done). I traced my lines with a washable fabric pen, and stitched the now-flat rope with a wide zig-zag stitch. 




A wee bonnet was also in order (again, a hard thing to pull off for a boy!), and for that I mildly modified the free Ottobre jersey baby hat pattern. I lined mine with cream bamboo jersey. Hopefully it will fit! Not only is it hard for me to remember how small a newborn is, my newborns have varied wildly in size (the smallest was 7lb 4 oz, the largest just a hair over 11lb...). But at least knit is stretchy, and anything too big won't be for long, Lord willing.



Little Kit trying to put his hand in his mouth! 


It was such a delight to watch (and for me, feel) Kit wriggling around today! We finally decided on a name, and after the good news today we're rejoicing over God's many mercies thus far. Can't wait to meet you, baby boy -- but please stay put for a few more months! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!