Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Our wee home is taking shape, little by little -- one by one the empty boxes are banished to the garage, and the atmosphere begins to grow more cozy.
And oddly enough, it looks as the random curtains that I've rescued from yard sales and thrift stores over the years (if the tag says "Waverly," you can be almost certain it's coming home with me!) will come in handy; and not only that, but they'll fit our windows exactly, and will blend in with our current decor. Little providences.
But I digress. Actually, I'm cheating a bit in this post, because the sewing project below was completed last fall! But since I haven't yet had time for sewing (though my machine, I am happy to say, is up and ready for use), I thought I'd finally get around to sharing it. Not that I ever procrastinate...
Our little red sofa desperately needed some accent pillows. Red isn't exactly a mild color, and a whole bank of it can be rather overwhelming. Accent pillows are a dime a dozen, of course, and I probably could have found something to suit in a store. But the temptation to indulge in some home decorating sewing was too much to resist. So I trotted off to JoAnn's, where I eventually found perfect (and more importantly, inexpensive!) coordinating fabrics. Two tassels, two zippers, and a few yards of cording later, I had all I needed -- the red suede piping fabric was already in my stash.
Of course, everything went together beautifully, without the least difficulty -- and certainly without any mistakes! *coughs* Well, there were one or two mishaps...
I actually wasn't going to include zippers at all, but when I contemplated "washability" (and the prospect of slipstitching the back of the pillow closed with piping involved), I quickly decided that zippers were a necessity! Even though I'd already cut out my back pieces, I had just enough fabric left to make the necessary adjustments.
And the taffeta -- well, that was supposed to extend to the corners of the pillow. I just didn't account quite enough for the effect that gathering it into the tassel loop would create. Fortunately, by turning under the ends an extra few inches, the problem was solved.
So there, in far too much detail, is an account of our throw pillows (AKA, more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-a-single-pair-of-pillows). And that, you will be happy to hear, is