I technically finished this project some time ago, but am just now getting around to posting it. Which, considering that it will be many months before it's cold enough for Rosa to wear it, doesn't seem all that late.
The (free) pattern is the Meret (Mystery Beret) by Woolly Wormhead. It was really quite easy -- though, in typical beginner fashion, I did have a fair number of rows to pull out and re-do. I learned a few new things along the way, and got a taste of basic lace knitting.
The yarn is Knitpicks' Gloss DK in Velveteen. It's 70% Merino and 30% silk -- doesn't that just sound delicious? It's got such a lovely hand! Perhaps my favorite thing about knitting is that you can see everything coming together gradually. I'm sure over time I'll gain a sense of what different stitch combinations will produce, but for now it's almost like magic. Increase, then decrease, then yarn over? Then BAM, you see the pattern emerge.
I used a DK yarn instead of the recommended Aran, since I was making this for a toddler -- however, I used the medium size, since I didn't want it to come out too small. I think it will work just right. It fits now, but will fit better in a few months.
This, of course, was the best picture I managed of Rosa wearing her new beret -- trying to get a picture of a hat without also photographing the face of a very active toddler is no laughing matter!
Here's a better view of the lace pattern:
I've done one or two other projects which I'll have to post soon, but I've actually had a bit of a hiatus from knitting after attempting a pattern (several times) that was ultimately too difficult. But I have a new pattern lined up, and hopefully Rosa will soon have a wee cardigan for the winter months.