Tuesday, August 01, 2017

(Big) Blessings

I've been absent from my little corner of the Interwebs longer than I intended -- the truth is, though I had a few projects to share, I was just ready to have my baby. And if past experience were any indication, I was due to deliver any day (my first three were 12, 16, and 16 days early). Sixteen days before my due date came and went. So did twelve. One week before my due date and all I had to show were a handful of Braxton Hicks contractions (which I'd never experienced in previous pregnancies). When my due date came and went, I already felt two weeks overdue and the word "induction" was introduced to my consciousness. I felt huge and incredibly uncomfortable, and a cashier asked if I were having twins! Finally, finally, a full week after my due date, it was time. 

Contractions started suddenly and violently, less than five minutes apart. We called the midwifery center, grabbed a few last-minute essentials, and hopped in the car. By the time we reached the ER to be admitted, I was feeling a bit "pushy." Up to the room, and a few contractions later it was time for our little guy to make his appearance. My midwife was great, coaching me through and encouraging me. My husband always seems to know what to do (namely, just being there when I need him, and letting me squeeze his hand as tightly as I can!). Pushing was harder than I remembered it being with my second and third babies, but in reality it wasn't that long. In fact, the entire labor was just under an hour and a half from start to finish! Granted, at my last appointment I was over half-way dilated and almost fully effaced -- so I didn't have that far to go. 




The midwife and nurse commented on how big he was, and after we'd had an hour or so of "just us" the nurse came back to weigh, measure, and clean him. She guessed over ten pounds, my husband guessed ten even, and I guessed nine-and-change because I couldn't fathom him being any larger than that. Imagine our surprise (shock, rather) when he tipped the scales at a hair over eleven pounds! No wonder I'd been a bit... uncomfortable... over the past few weeks! All of my previous babies were seven pounds and some odd ounces -- though they'd been increasing a few ounces in size each time, and I jested at Laddie's birth that the next baby would be over eight pounds. Well, I was right!




It's so good to finally have him here, our little "Scout" (as he'll be called on the blog). I still call him "little," even though the nurse had to go grab the size 1 diapers to replace the newborn diapers she'd had ready. I'd been concerned about the possibility of a c-section if induction was required, but as it turns out his large size was actually more of a risk. I am so grateful that labor was so swift, and that we didn't have any issues with shoulder dystocia. I'm also grateful I had no idea how big he was before the birth -- that would have been intimidating, to say the least!




After three very similar births, Scout has certainly changed things up -- I realized in those last agonizing weeks that I'd never had to wait for a baby before. All three of my older children had arrived before I really expected them to. Guess what? I'm not good at waiting!

But I'm already enjoy some of the "perks" -- for instance, Laddie was always congested, and required frequent suctioning for the first several months. In fact, I could never let him cry it out, because he would become so congested that he could barely breathe. There's a strong possibility that's related to his arriving 16 days before his due date. Scout, on the other hand, hasn't need any help in the respiratory department. Being "Large for Gestational Age" carried a few concerns (big babies have their blood sugars checked before their first twelve feedings), but Scout passed all of his checks with flying colors and seems perfectly healthy. And no, I didn't have gestational diabetes -- in fact, my blood sugar was exceptional when I was tested! He's just... big.




Every baby is a blessing, but I can honestly say I didn't expect such a "big" blessing from the Lord! I'm trying to rest and recover, basking in the newborn snuggles -- it's such a fleeting season (and one of my favorites). It's such a joy to see Scout's older siblings being so sweet and loving. They've been so excited about his arrival, and now that he's here they can't get enough of him! Especially sweet is the way Scout seems so calm when Rosa holds him -- which she wants to do frequently. I think the only thing I have to worry about is Scout being smothered with affection! Perhaps that's why God knitted him together on a slightly larger scale...


"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."
Jeremiah 1:5a

22 comments:

  1. Congrats!! What a BIG blessing. Praise the LORD that all went well and all is well. Enjoy the newborn stage and continue to count your blessings! (One "little" toe at a time,all 40 of them. :) )

    Carie Dirks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carie,

      Thank you so much for your sweet words! It's a bit alarming how big some of those little toes are getting -- it happens so fast! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Aw, so sweet. Congratulations to you and your whole family. A big, healthy baby boy, what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danice! We are certainly counting our blessings!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Shannon,

    You have been in my thoughts and prayers! I am so happy to hear that your baby has arrived and that you are well. Eleven pounds is a surprise! God is so good to see you through the delivery c-section free! Such sweet little hands. : ) What a special blessing to enjoy a new baby!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Thank you for the kind words and the prayers! My mom told me afterwards that she thinks her dad was a ten pound baby, so perhaps that "gene" popped up this time around. I'm kind of hoping this isn't setting a precedent, though! ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a BIG blessing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family! So glad all went well and Scout eventually arrived. ;-) And what a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laura! He was definitely worth the wait (I can empathize with overdue moms now...).

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your sweet baby boy. Don't worry about size. Back in my "day" - the 1950's, doctors encouraged big babies. My brothers and I were all over 10 lb.s and none of us ever had a fat problem or blood sugar problem. Wishing you and yours all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica,

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I had never even heard of blood sugar being an issue for larger babies (apparently it can cause issues if it drops too low), but fortunately Scout didn't have any problems! It's a simple matter of giving the baby glucose, but of course I preferred that he not have any "interventions" if possible.

      Multiple 10+ pounders? I have a great deal of respect for your mom! ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  8. The greatest blessings aren't they? :0) congratulations on the birth of the new baby :) what a wonderful time to celebrate!
    mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mari! They are blessings, indeed! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your newest blessing! I love the dress?, that you're wearing in the family photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cari! I found that dress through Swap.com while I was still pregnant, and had to take the chance that it would fit -- fortunately it does, though it will look a bit better once the "4th trimester" is over ;-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  10. Congrats!!!!! I'm so happy for you all. Our new little guy also arrived a week after his due date (thankfully before the induction date), but that really wasn't a surprise since all of mine have gone over 40 weeks and squeaked in just a few days (or hours) before induction. Crazy how fast the 4 babies come!! I'm so glad you had a smooth labor... I can't imagine 11 pounds!! You're a champ, mama!! Mateo's labor was on and off all day, but when it finally regulated, things went super fast. We spent just 50 minutes in the hospital from arriving to his birth. I hope you're resting well and enjoying newborn snuggles!! It's so fun to see the big kids enjoy their sibling...I bet you're enjoying that so much also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! Congrats yourself, by the way! It's a bid odd how similar our 4th pregnancies have been, from identical gender order to "one week late" arrival dates! I'm glad to hear your labor went well; I'm a huge fan of arriving at the hospital as soon as possible before the birth.

      I'm also finding that I've earned major respect points with the women in my church because of Scout's size -- even when I pointed out that I didn't have much of a choice in the matter! ;-)

      Thank you for all of the well-wishes, and I'm sending them right back at you! :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, Shannon! What a blessing indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Have been thinking of you and hoping that you had welcomed your son. What a sweetie he looks, love the photographs, thank you for sharing with us. I shall look forward to hearing all about your new family as you grow together. Love from Dorset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,

      Thank you for your sweet words! He really is a sweetie -- very cuddly and kissable. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      PS -- Wishing I was in Dorset! :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!